Subject Author Posted Replies

Alternative for DPM
I had part of a 9" wall knocked down for a doorway. Slightly below floor level are two layers of polythene membrane with a layer of floor levelling screed to make up to floor level. I would say the...
11
11

Nuclear fuel
How come harry hasn't posted a link to The UK plutonium stockpile at Sellafield represents "thousands of years of energy in the bank" says a leading scientist.
53
53

OT: bridge rectifier failure mode.
I've just had a bridge rectifier fail with two of the four diodes dead short. one of those 1" square blocks with a spade tag in each corner. Type GBPC1510. Rated 15 amp 1000v piv used to rectify 100v...
11
11

Car Airbag Light
Not sure which is the best car forum - any advice? My wife's Kalos is displaying the airbag Warning Light (MOT Failure) Generic Fault Code Readers do not work with this car and I want to avoid a ?60...
16
16

CAD (?) software recommendation
I use SketchUp a bit but have just found a limitation in that it is possible to print to scale (ie 1:1), but it's a faff involving the Camera and so on. I'm wanting to make templates for scrollsaw...
5
5

EPC - What a joke
Electrical side of solar was hooked up today and the all important EPC chap came along to do a rating as we need to be "D" or above I believe for maximum FIT rate. All was going great to start with...

long reach sealant guns?
I need to seal around one side of a shower tray which is only about 2" away from a sink unit and a conventional gun won't get in to such a small gap. The nozzle alone will, of course, but it's not...
21
21

Diffusion laws.
For those intellectually challenged and those who should remember their physics, the fundamental equation for the diffusion coefficient is :- D = kT/G where K is the Boltzman constant, T is the...
44
44

Elf and Safety mare's nest nightmare
Sydney cannabis bust reveals "dangerous" cable nest These cannabis farmers did not abide by appropriate health and safety regulations TinyURL.com - shorten that long URL into a tiny URL These cannabis...
4
4

Wasp RIP
Just finished off a wasp in the conservatory, bugger was making a real nuis ance of itself. I have never seen one alive this late into November is this a record or fairly normal? I think anyone...
19
19

Basin mixer tap
I suspect this may have been covered... After 20 years, our basin mixer taps are worn out. Ostensibly appropriate repair inserts do not do a reliable job. Twyford themselves no longer market this...
5
5

Fixing leak behind bath taps
Despite all my efforts I'm getting water seeping down behind my bath taps and damaging the kitchen ceiling below. There's only about 1 cm to work in between the taps and the tiles, so getting that...
19
19

£3 million and rusty nails !!!!
Anyone watch the Grand Designs on telly this evening? Fabulous pad on the Isle of Wight, clad in expensive impregnated timber, fixed with un galvanised nails so rusty stains running down everywhere...
25
25

plaster board again
When I replace the plasterboard (for tiling) on the walls do I need to put some sort of tape on / in the corners /edges prior to tiling. What about any vertical joints, do these need to be filled.
6
6

Plasterboard thickess for ceiling
Is 12.5 mm plasterboard ok for ceiling or should I go for thinner. Noise insulation not an issue, I am just thinking in terms of weight.
10
10