Subject Author Posted Replies

Well OT - Disability
How disabled do you need to be to in order to get a free bus pass? and A Paralympian athlete is told by a local authority that her prosthetic limb is not proof of her disability.
11
11

Spiralarm gas detector
I have used a spiralarm type S gas detector as a decorative light above our front door. I fitted it with 12 volt bulbs in the base and upper sections. Now one of the bulbs has failed and I have to...

Twinslot shelving - cosmetic improvements
Are there any dressing/cosmetic covers for exposed twinslot rail to make it less ugly? Obviously needs to be trimmable to length. I'd like to use it for a wide but not deep TV stand with deeper and...
20
20

Call me a Dick
All UK homes and businesses will have access to "fast broadband" by 2020, David Cameron has pledged. Every home and business in the UK will have access to "fast broadband" by the end of the decade,...
78
78

Cannabis farm in Australia - creative power distribution :)
The pic is a laugh. How not to do power distribution. "It was revealed that these criminals were not abiding by appropriate health and safety standards - a huge tangle of piggy-backed power cables was...
5
5

Tiling over a back box
I have a single gang back box on a wall I want to tile with wiring that originally went to a heater via a switch. The heater is long gone, and the wiring is now disconnected. I can get a blanking...
9
9

Kitchen sink - drains water v e r y slowly
We have a problem with the kitchen sink that will not drain. Well it will, but only v e r y slowly. Have replaced the S bend and the fitting in the sink base itself: no fix though. If we remove all...
11
11

Alternative for DPM
I had part of a 9" wall knocked down for a doorway. Slightly below floor level are two layers of polythene membrane with a layer of floor levelling screed to make up to floor level. I would say the...
11
11

Nuclear fuel
How come harry hasn't posted a link to The UK plutonium stockpile at Sellafield represents "thousands of years of energy in the bank" says a leading scientist.
53
53

OT: bridge rectifier failure mode.
I've just had a bridge rectifier fail with two of the four diodes dead short. one of those 1" square blocks with a spade tag in each corner. Type GBPC1510. Rated 15 amp 1000v piv used to rectify 100v...
11
11

Car Airbag Light
Not sure which is the best car forum - any advice? My wife's Kalos is displaying the airbag Warning Light (MOT Failure) Generic Fault Code Readers do not work with this car and I want to avoid a ?60...
16
16

CAD (?) software recommendation
I use SketchUp a bit but have just found a limitation in that it is possible to print to scale (ie 1:1), but it's a faff involving the Camera and so on. I'm wanting to make templates for scrollsaw...
5
5

EPC - What a joke
Electrical side of solar was hooked up today and the all important EPC chap came along to do a rating as we need to be "D" or above I believe for maximum FIT rate. All was going great to start with...

long reach sealant guns?
I need to seal around one side of a shower tray which is only about 2" away from a sink unit and a conventional gun won't get in to such a small gap. The nozzle alone will, of course, but it's not...
21
21

Diffusion laws.
For those intellectually challenged and those who should remember their physics, the fundamental equation for the diffusion coefficient is :- D = kT/G where K is the Boltzman constant, T is the...
44
44