Subject Author Posted Replies

Being cautious re electrics ?
I just want to make sure this is correct as I dont usually enter the mains electric box. I am looking to disconnect the electric shower at the mains box, its already disconnected further down the...
57
57

Bath chip repair?
Hi all, I've somehow managed to chip the rim of my bath in about the most obvious spot (sod's law). It just catches the eye every time I go in the bathroom. I'm wondering what the best way of...
10
10

Strict adherence to building regs
The building regs say that a waste/soil/toilet stack pipe has to be at least 900mm above an opening window within a few metres. If the stack pipe was 10mm short of this then would that be seen as...
21
21

Intermittent ring continuity
I had an EICR done on a house I'm buying and the electrician reported "no ring continuity" on the principal ring main (supplying 20 sockets). The seller agreed to remedy this (plus some other faults),...
10
10

Off mains toilets?
What are the options for providing permanent sanitation to premises without a mains or any sewerage connection? As far as can see starts at composting toilet, which may not be ideal and requires...
27
27

Locating drains access chambers in garden
Recently had a blockage in the external drain into which the kitchen sink discharges. The guy cleared it with difficulty, because he could not find the drains access chambers that we knew must be out...
24
24

Most compact G9 LED
I'd like to replace some 25W halogen G9 bulbs with LED replacements but, as ever, the physical dimensions differ from the originals insofar as the positioning of the light source from the bulb base....
3
3

Treating weathered wood for furniture
I've seen tables made out of old weathered wood. but how is it treated to stop woodworm etc? a special kind of varnish? [george]
1
1

How to loosen nut to shower ?
In the image below which way should I turn this nut to loosen, it is the water inlet to an electric shower. It is heck of a tight and I dont want to force it if going in the wrong direction. Up or...
24
24

philips led bulbs
Hello, Toolstation sell two Philips LED light bulbs, both described as shape A. The power consumption and lumens output seem identical, as does the life of the bulb. The only difference I could find...
1
1

no women allowed!
It's my considered opinion that women should be banned from Toolstation and Screwfix branches, thus reducing the waiting time by half. My plumber agrees
32
32

OT Paris
The most basic, primitive honor a nation owes to its dead is to fight to defend itself—to defeat the enemy and win. And yet the West won’t.

Dificualty reading Bathroom Scales display.
As a 70 year old wearing glasses I struggle to read the slightly magnified display and stand in a position to get a true weight. I have been looking to see if any scales were available that I could...
18
18

draught proofing at skirting.
Sort of. I am refurbishing shower room and have stripped the wall of tiles/plaster board. At this stage before I redo the plasterboard at the point where the stud partitions meet the floor there is a...
1
1

Quiet, cetrifugal extractor fan recommendations
I think an extractor fan with a humidistat is called for in my daughter's flat. It's going to have to go in the kitchen/dining room so needs to be quiet. There's a limit on maximum width of about...
3
3