Subject Author Posted Replies

Buying steel plate
I'm "improving" my 1300x750 metalwork bench and want to put a steel plate on the double layer (about 80mm) chipboard top. Metal Supermarkets £85+VAT for a 6mm plate - is there anywhere to get steel...
13
13

Blanking off a tap connector
The expansion vessel on my boiler is leaking. Replacing it is impossible, s o I intend to fit another nearby, on the return. Obviously I'll need to dis connect the old one - given it leaks, and the...
4
4

OT One for Dennis
There are exact parallels between the Roman Empire and the EUSSR. Both had to expand constantly to get cheap labour. Both were run by financial incompetents. Both were undemocratic. Rome and Brusselsl...
4
4

OT: Earth landing.
Okay, I know the film is an advert and bits of it are cgi, but what they have achieved is still very cool. Tim Blue Origin’s New Shepard space vehicle successfully flew to space, reaching its...
18
18

Bleeding radiators
I have never owned a pressurised heating system. I am trying talk a relative (100 miles away and not very practical) through bleeding radiators. (He has described to me radiators hot at the bottom and...
25
25

Mould Killers
Aren't these "mould killers" a waste of money? I have a couple of rooms to redecorate that get very little ventilation so they've acquired some mildew. But would I not be just as well off by treating...
10
10

Wiping down tiles
The builders have gone and the walk-in shower is finished. Apart from a bit of snagging, the main area of contention is how well the builders cleaned up after themselves. Fortunately this is covered...
50
50

Question re screws fixing ply to floorboards
Working on the theory of one third of screw length = thickness of wood and two thirds to screw in to attach, ie 9mm wood then use 27mm screws (or nearest to) Just to confirm for me if ply is 9mm and...
5
5

Briggs & Stratton fuel additive to prevent gum formation
Briggs & Stratton make a fuel additive which is supposed to prevent the formation of gum in fuel systems of, for example, grass cutters which are left unused in the winter. Is it any good. I normally...
29
29

electric shower letting through water
I have just installed a new electric shower (Gainsborough e50 offered by Me ssrs B and Q for under fifty quid on clearance). Upon first turning on the water supply, the shower passes water from the ho...
7
7

VW emmisions
BBC 1 tonight 20.30 Panorama. Should be interesting.
52
52

showerpowerbooster -any one used it?
Has anyone used these? ( My low voltage 'waterfall' pump has become faulty and I'm looking for a solution. I saw the showerpowerbooster demonstrated by the inventor at an exhibition and it looked just...
9
9

Where have all the automatic car washes gone?
This is sort of on topic, because washing the car ought to be a do-it-yourself job, but I dislike doing it especially in very cold weather like now. So, especially in winter, I used to take the car to...
42
42

Re: OT:RF Paranoia ?!
I doubt it. If you knew what frequency they were using it might be possible to jam it. But random is just as likely to effect their communication equipment as a bomber's remote. And these days it...
2
2

OT: Physics
What is the difference between foot-pounds (or whatever the fancy, metric equivalent is nowadays) and foot-pounds/second?
44
44