Subject Author Posted Replies

Best AA rechargables.
Have a much loved ancient Ryobi hobby drill which takes 4 AA cells. Obviously, they've been replaced over the years. Probably originally Ni-Cads. Checking the current the device can take at near stall...
30
30

Tile removal - plasterboard
SWMBO wants the bathroom doing up including re-tiling. The walls are plasterboard (the internal walls are made of a plasterboard sandwich with scraps of PD between the outer skins - the only timber is...
4
4

Strange triangular screw head
I need to replace the bulb in a plastic outdoor light fitting that takes a 2D type flourescent light bulb. The cover is held own by two screws with heads of a type I've never seen before The heads are...
26
26

Opinions re shower enclosure
See attached image. Shower enclosure 800 x 900. Will be using coloured backer board within the enclosure. To the left of the enclosure (A) is a strip of wall approx 20 cms wide. Wife wants this (A) to...
6
6

OT More about Oz
I wonder if we could do the same with Rockall Isalnd? Closure of camp pits locals against 700 asylum seekers and shines spotlight on Australia’s immigration policy
1
1

OT: climate propaganda
The BBC tells lies. 1. No mention of the fact that the temp hasn't risen for 18 years. 2. The CO2 graph shows atmospheric CO2 rising consistently, in the period 1997 to 2015. If CO2 is the cause of...
26
26

Bath Chip Repair (update)
Well, I finally took a punt on this stuff: And it really works! I wasn't too hopeful when it arrived since it appears to be made in Poland and the instructions were in broken English, but it does...
12
12

OT: Car USB charger & DAB radio
Can anyone recommend a car USB charger preferably 2A x2 USB sockets that will fit in the cigarette lighter and not protrude too much
17
17

Repairing broken cast iron grate
Recently bought a new 14 inch fireplace grate, and, on arrival, it was broken. One corner, complete with leg, snapped off. The supplier is sending a replacement, and does not appear to want the...
22
22

LED for SMEG Cooker Hood
I have a SMEG cooker hood and would like to replace the 12v 20watt downlights with LEDs to match the colour of other under cupboard lights and to give a longer lamp life. Currently the lamps are fed...
8
8

Confused about door closers...
We want a door closer for our small cloakroom which has an outward opening door. The door closer needs to be on the inside pulling the door closed. We have used one of these in the past but they're a...
30
30

Radio equipment
My hi-fi system dates way back, and is built of separates (1). It includes an FM tuner, and by means of an additional selector can take inputs from TV (2) or computer. There are speakers in all three...
65
65

OT: Mathematical Conundrum II
A bat and a ball together cost 1 pound ten pence and the bat costs one pound more than the ball. How much is the ball?
212
212

Sealant for twinwall polycarb please
I'm planning to build a coldframe. A neighbour on the next allotment built one from twinwall but used Gaff or Duck tape to seal the ends. After a short while, the water got in, followed by algae. I've...
9
9

Leaf blower
Is there such a thing as a good electric leaf blower? I have no other petrol powered machines and have no desire to go that route. Just a few times a year I could do with something to round up a)Wet...
33
33