Subject Author Posted Replies

Cooker Hood - Maximum Duct length?
I would like to change a cooker hood from recirculation to extraction to outside. The hood is mounted on an internal wall, however as the property is a bungalow it may be possible to run a rectangular...
16
16

OT? Sonos advice please.
Hi All, Could anyone experienced with multi-unit Sonos installs (ideally CONNECT:AMP) give me some advice re the (ideal?) configuration please? A non-technical mate has such a system and apparently it...
4
4

Headlight (low beam) not working (Nissan Tino 1.8, 2001)
Car electrics... gha! The offside low beam headlight on my Noosan Tino 1.8, 2001 has stopped working I checked the single-filament bulb. It's fine I checcked for voltage to the connectors. There is no...
56
56

OT: recommendation for ebook reader (.epub) on Windows?
Been given a draft ebook to review. Got ebook on my Android device fine. Would like to get it onto Windows as well (for various reasons). What does the group recommend for a viewer for a .epub book on...
11
11

cement mixes
Hello, I read this on the paving expert web site: "There is often a temptation for installers to use either a mortar with a higher cement content, say a 3:1 mix in place of a 6:1 mix, to use PVA as an...
20
20

OT doghouse
She was giving me a bit of a massage, rubbing my back to ease the pain. I said, dreamily, "Oh I am a lucky man!"! "Why's that darling?" "Well I was just thinking, I've got just about every power tool...
8
8

Boiler Problems
Looks like they've sorted out the boiler problems they have had at Heysham and Hartlepool for quite a while: H1 R2 G2 at full load for the first time in ages. Heysham 1 Update: 01 Dec 2015 11.47hrs...
11
11

screwfix titan pillar drill
Hello, Has anyone seen Screwfix's own brand Titan pillar drill: It sounds quite good. It has a page and half of glowing reviews, although the last three are very critical, so I don't know which to...
33
33

Switch off but bulbs on(ish) puzzle
I've just replaced 5 33W G9 halogen bulbs in a light fitting with 1W G9 LED bulbs. As I swapped the bulbs one by one all seemed normal until I unplugged the last halogen at which point the other four...
22
22

Apprentice Electrician
If you go to this page: Scroll down and click on figure 5 you will see a depiction of a first year electrical apprentice in a typical working pose. Enjoy....
13
13

[Possibly OT] Landlord's question
We have a rental property which is managed by an agent. Latest missive says that, due to recent legislation: (1) We have to fit suitable smoke and CO alarms (smoke upstairs and downstairs). (2) We...
23
23

How to stiffen loose floorboard.
Situation: This floorboard is at the door entry to the shower room, I have just lifted the old tiles and that one had a crack, now I know why. I will be laying new tiles soon and the problem is that...
8
8

corrugated roofing material
I need to put a car-port-style roof over a chicken yard. It's only about 12foot by 15ft. Can anyone suggest a suitable type of material? This is a windy area. Bill
11
11

Source of floor tiles
I'm after a small quantity of floor tiles following a flood: Pergo Charcoal Slate - Expression Slab 4v .. Product reference 74928-1452.. Dimensions are 328mmx635mm Can't seem to find any online...

Galvo corrugated steel sheet - white powdery bloom
A few weeks back, the local BM delivered me a few sheets of galvo corrugated wriggly tin sheet. When we unloaded 'em and stacked 'em, they were covered with a white powdery bloom. I probably should...
10
10