Subject Author Posted Replies

Changing type of dual flush valve in toilet cistern
My toilet cistern currently has an Armitage Shanks dual flush valve like this one: Would I be able to fit the Fluidmaster model instead? I believe the hole at the bottom is standard, either 1.5 or 2...
33
33

The end of the UK airshow?
CAA are generally pretty good but mebbe a bit more thought required: Potential effects of CAA CAP1373b - The end of the UK airshow? - The People's Mosquito 1st February, the Civil Aviation Authority...
45
45

How to make a long pencil trough in a piece of hardwood?
Perhaps I'm being daft but I have yet to come up with a solution. I want to fashion a pencil trough in the centre of a piece of beech. Dimensions of the trough to be 16 x 1.5 x 0.5 ins. Needs to be...
20
20

UPS lighting?
Hi all, Just thinking out loud and talking of power cuts ... what would the rules say if I took the feed from the CU for the downstairs lighting (6A) cct to a single 13A socket and then brought the...
47
47

GU10 downighter with PIR?
Our porch is lit with three led downlighters. I'd like to add a motion sensor and I'm sure that there are plenty of sensors that would do but if possible (and if such a thing exists), I'd prefer a...
4
4

DIY NAS question for the *nix experts
I seem to be sinking under a pile of spare hard drives at the moment - typically 2.5" 500GB ones. It would be nice to find a way of making use of them *cheaply*. It would be nice to build a NAS...
14
14

OT - UK Power Networks extra support in power cut - elderly?
I have recently received an email from UK Power Networks inviting me to register for additional help in the event of a power cut. Qualifications are: "Who can apply ? Customers who are dependent on...
54
54

OT: Its not CO2, it's the trees!
You couldn't make it up! Scientists say replacing broadleaved species with conifers over the past two centuries has increased global temperatures.
20
20

Lining up shower enclosure
At the stage of lining things up before cutting.(showerboard) In the attached is there any reason why the shower enclosure should not sit nearer to the outside edge of the shower tray or should it be...
3
3

DiY at Aldi
DIY Specialbuys in store 7th February. () Sunday 7th February - ALDI UK Sunday 7th February - ALDI UK...
24
24

Parkside (Lidl) Multi-tool
I see that Lidl have got this on offer at £30 on Monday. Looks quite good. It comes with a rigid case (whereas the similar one I bought at Aldi a couple of years ago simply came in a cardboard box)...
3
3

Source for powerchair drivewheel tyre ?
It's a "Ul7 Vienna", and the part number is 105201-69101 : PU 200*70 Black plstic rim Googling throws up loads of catalogues, one potential supplier (have emailed) and one supplier who seems very...

Disappearing lawn
I would be grateful for input from any gardeners out there... In June 2014 I removed the patio and subbase from our back garden and repla ced it with Rolawn's Medallion turf sat on approx 6-8 inches...
80
80

no more nails types of grab adhesive
Hello, I used to use Toolstations' "glue screws" cartridge adhesive but it seems they have discontinued it. So I was using their "gun a nail" instead: This is solvent free but seems to have gone up in...
1
1

Shredding files on a laptop.
My daughter has given me a laptop that is faulty, it works but overheats periodically and switches off. Before I dispose of it she would like the files shredded. Which is the best way to do this,...
58
58