Subject Author Posted Replies

Jailed for illegal electrical work
In Ireland, not here: An unregistered electrician has become the first person to be jailed in Ireland for carrying out dangerous and illegal electrical work. ... He handed down a three-month sentence...
1
1

OT: Bonkers!
china
8
8

OT. Yet more cultural enrichment.
SOME of the deadliest diseases in history are making a comeback in the UK, and there are fears even the Black Death could return to these shores.
6
6

Door hinge placement
I've been told that most carpenters place the bottom door hinge further from the bottom than the top hinge is from the top. Why? Mine are the same (as fitted by whoever was here before me, and I've...
29
29

Health and softy for dishwashers
I can't believe it, I've just discovered the majority actually face their cutlery down in the dishwasher so they don't hurt themselves. What happened to cleaning them properly? What happened to being...
34
34

Anyone suggest a good reliable b&w laser printer? Mine's just cra*
I have a Brother 2035 - and it's been nothing but trouble since I first bought it. The toner carts go in ok but always decide to wedge on the way out. Paper jams are regular etc etc. And now it's...
72
72

Pointing tool
Evening everyone, especially those who might remember me. We've had a dreadful few plumbing weeks, the boiler dying on New Year's Eve just before the extended Bank Holiday and all the historic piping...
37
37

Central heating
I have an old style boiler installed over 20 years ago, vented system, Wickes (Halstead) 40/50. The boiler works fine but every time it starts up it has air in the system, lots of bangs, cracks and...
5
5

Floor again - result!
My mate had a genius idea to the dormer with just 4x2" ceiling joists under a couple of alcove areas (main floor is 8x2"). Turns out there is just room to run a 6x2" C24 (red in the above picture)...

Bed a monobloc tap in silicone or plumbers mait?
It is through a worktop rather than the kitchen sink itself. I want to stop it spinning and also seal it. Which would you use? Brendan.
3
3

ON topic Valentines present
Bought and fitted her a 2 gang socket with USB outlet as a surprise whilst she is at work.
14
14

Mono Laser All in Ones now less than thirty quid!
Amazed at this. Comes with 1200 page toner, i.e. just throw the printer away when done and buy another one. Ricoh SP112SU Multi-Function A4 Mono Laser Printer eBuyer currently has them for £25...
25
25

OT: a very good review of the looming UK grid crisis
As against fancy models, Euan looks at precisely how much reliable capacity really exists on the UK grid, and how close we are to a blackout. UK Blackout Risk – Amber Warning | Energy Matters
30
30

Dear Santa, all I want for Christmas is..
The tool top end all tools... Gosh. Imagine setting that loose in Islington.. BAE Systems unveils its reworked 'Swiss Army knife' armoured vehicle - aptly named the Terrier
5
5

ON topic: Angry homeowner gets revenge on commuter who parked in her driveway
Now that's what I call DIY. When a driver prevented builders from working on Julie Geue's drive, she seized the opportunity to get her own back
38
38