Subject Author Posted Replies

Short lived CFL again.
Had to replace the CPC security 20W CFL today. I reckon it had done less than 1000 hours. Replaced it with a 15W from another manufacturer, have to see how that does. May have to consider going LED in...
14
14

Polarized vehicle headlights.
When I was a child, in my grandfather's bookcase there was a copy of ?Science Advances? by JBS Haldane. If you aren?t familiar with Haldane he?s well worth a Google. The most memorable concept in that...
21
21

Unusual drilling question
A mate of mine is planning to make some holders for table decorations at a forthcoming wedding. He's planning to use lengths of freshly cut branches (with nice bark on) about 15 cm length and...
14
14

Rat Blocker
Anyone care to share an opinion about this sort of thing: There appear to be several varieties, including plastic: And blimey expensive: Do they work? Any particularly best kind? For background, we...
10
10

OT Browser issues
Opening PDFs in Firefox take an age. Any advice on workarounds?
46
46

Changing radiator valves
Our traditional oil fired wet radiator system has thermostatic valves on all the radiators except the four in an attached annexe (ex shop), although the annexe is a separate zone, so controllable up...
3
3

Receiving SMS messages via a landline phone
OT, I know ... We have rarely, if ever, received SMS messages on our landline phone until now. Son's school have started sending updates by that method, which is OK, but is there any possibility we...
29
29

Mobile phone batteries
In having a clearout of a miniscule proportion of the accumulated junk here, I've found a mobile phone of unknown Chinese origin, badged Swees X538. On looking at why the back had popped off, I found...
7
7

Junction Box for Ceiling Lighting
I'm replacing a couple of ceiling lights, currently with a ceiling rose with 4 cables going to it (supply in, supply out, switch, lamp). The new light fitting replaces the ceiling rose but just has a...
5
5

Who has a Zyliss, zVise2, Gripmaster multi vise thing?
Hi all, I believe I have one of the 'original (somewhere) vises that were sold at the various exhibitions around at the time (probably the 'Model Engineer' for me) I've recently discovered a...
4
4

OT Photoshop 7 help if possible please
Hi all, Am using a desktop computer with Photoshop 7 I realise it is considered an old program but it's one I know or thought I did. Somehow I closed the main background page and now when I try to...
19
19

Domestic sprinkler systems
good morning, i'm just about to undertake a rather sizeable attic conversion. I have done several over the years but have not done one for around 7 years now. for me one of the worst things about a...
35
35

OT entertainment
Culled from a farming forum.. Burnistoun-Voice recognition lift (Eleven) translation and transcription crowdsourced

Split Ring Compression Fitting Spanner 24/32mm
Am so excited! Having had one of these spanners in my plumbing kit bag for several years, I have at last used it in earnest. Replacing a 3-post valve. It managed to do all three 22mm nuts easily and...
9
9

Sideways segmented roller-type doors/room dividers
I'm remodelling a small downstairs bathroom into a combined loo/utility area and it would be pleasant to divide the space in two, with the washing machine and storage behind a movable wall. A set of...
13
13