Subject Author Posted Replies

Replacing hologens
Any reason why I should not try this. I have a set of 5 halogens in ceiling that I want to replace with maybe 3 x LED panels. As I am not sure how other half will like the light intensity etc I want...
4
4

Solvent free paint for woodwork
I wonder if anyone has any comments on oil based versus solvent free paints for woodwork please?
13
13

Wet-Dry vacuum cleaner: recommendations?
I'm considering buying a wet/dry vacuum cleaner, mainly to spruce up the carpets once a year. I'm looking at a VAX 6131 -- a friend had one of these, which I borrowed now and again a couple of years...
13
13

Sharpening chisels help
Any of those 3 could do the grinding. Belt sander and especially angle grin der run too fast, with those go easy & let it cool off a lot, you don't wan t to overheat the steel or it goes soft. Never...
27
27

Fed up with catarrh (OT)
The short term nuclear option is fisherman's friend. To keep it away, liquorice & thyme work wonders. About 16 soft liquorice sweets a day and a pinch of thyme in tea 3 or 4 times. NT
46
46

Not replacing car batteries
I decided to replace the Calcium battery in the US built people carrier on Monday. Went to Halfords as they offered a fitting service. The computer said that the car needed an 096 battery. Battery...
10
10

Porridge In Expansion Tank
I don't know what it is, but once you've scooped it out if it's fungal or bacterial a teaspoon of copper sulphate should stop it recurring. NT
6
6

OT - Samsung Galaxy S3 soft brick and Odin
Following on from a post in December by Mr. Pounder. My Samsung Galaxy S3 has just soft bricked itself for no apparent reason. It now freezes at the splash screen. It won't boot into recovery mode...
29
29

Fitting freestanding gas cooker to replace separate hob & oven
Hi all we have a separate hob and built in oven, both gas, mounted directly above each other in old but servicable kitchen units. Width is 60cm. I am looking at replacing both, and it looks like the...

Best security for aluminium front door please
I can confirm that my ally doors have a steel core. Probably quite thin, I would guess A quick google found these types :- These are recommended by the police. NOT Uk police as they suggest chains :-...
5
5

Bl***dy glass suppliers...
Ordered up some glass from a local supplier. Not far short of a grand's worth. Had to be sent off for toughening after cutting and polishing etc, so 'about 2 weeks' Phoned them after the two weeks....
41
41

Arrgh drain problem
Had main drain surveyed and bad leak found in a very awkward place, at bend in the pipe under our kitchen. Can be patched but will probably need the floor digging up, according to drain firm. Should I...
8
8

Nicola Sturgeon touching minor
On the 10 o'clock news just now. Nicola Sturgeon putting her arm around the shoulder of a school child in full view of the cameras .... surely inappropriate touching in this day and age ? Andrew
22
22

Todays work nightmare
michael adams ...
14
14

Short lived CFL again.
Had to replace the CPC security 20W CFL today. I reckon it had done less than 1000 hours. Replaced it with a 15W from another manufacturer, have to see how that does. May have to consider going LED in...
14
14