Subject Author Posted Replies

Dimming 'not specifically dimmable' LEDs?
Yo. A while back Mum bought a table lamp that was 'touch dimming' where repeated 'touches' to the lamp body gave you from off to 'low', 'med', full and off again. I think it suggested a 'max' 40W...
12
12

Alternatives to stair carpets
SWMBO wants a new stair carpet, as the current one is worse for wear. This is the only carpet we have in the house, as the rest of the house is tiled, or solid wood floored. I'm relectant to replace...
23
23

DEOL Wiring for Alarm Help Please
Hi, I have just wired up a new alarm system using double end of line wiring. The problem is when there are two PIRs on the same zone. Each PIR works fine on its own but when you move from one room to...
2
2

OT:Wileyfox Swift ?99 today
Just a heads up this excellent network-free dual SIM Android phone is £99 (Usually £129) on Amazon today. Had mine since Xmas and it's a cracking phone. Dual SIM is nice (so you can have a separate...
2
2

Metal bar tolerances
I need a longer steel bar to fit an existing slot, measured the existing bar that fits the slot with a vernier calliper at 13.0x3.0mm Ordered a length of 13x3mm stainless flat bar, only to find when...
4
4

R-value of a basic garage door?
I looked everywhere on Google, and all I can find is the R-value of insulated garage doors (which I didn't even know existed!). What is the R-value of a traditional garage door, made of a simple sheet...
13
13

OT - Anaerobic Digestion - could you check my use of these figures please?
According to Farmers' Guardian, a biogas plant with a capacity of one megawatt, "requires 20,000-25,000 tonnes [of maize] a year, accounting for 450-500 hectares of land. I don't know but I assume...
8
8

OT: Microsoft moves towards Linux again..
Microsoft is changing strategy. Once upon a time, it was all Microsoft or nothing. They've realised that doesn't work in business, and individual Microsoft business units are now allowed to do their...
5
5

More gloom from green energy
Tasmania’s LRET Inflicted Power Crisis: its 308 MW of Wind Power Capacity Deemed Utterly Worthless – STOP THESE THINGS
6
6

Working out profit
Not quite DIY: Not having used mark up and margin for years I am now confused as to what my profit is in % terms. example: cost price £1.89 sell price £2.89 Profit is £1.00 But should I log this as...
15
15

OT Road trip - women and toilet stops
Just for fun. A simple 175 miles drive in the morning with the gf. (J38 of M1 to J4 of M1 and then a small bit of driving on A roads) How far[1] before she says "I need a wee"? Closest guess to the...
18
18

Sticking attic ladder
The bottom section of my 3 section loft ladder does not slide smoothly. The middle section slides up against the fixed section a treat but the bottom section seems to have two or three points where it...
16
16

Using One Shot drain clearer in sinks
Our kitchen sink drain is blocked and only draining slowly. I have a bottle of One Shot acid - is it Ok to use on plastic pipes and what's the best procedure? Instructions say remove as much water as...
48
48

Toslink to analogue converter.
TV has only a Toslink (optical fibre) audio output. Fairly common these days. External amp is analogue only. I've been using a fairly old universal (AES,S/PDIF and Toslink DAC which is fine - except...
3
3

Flapper valve flushers
A few years ago, a couple of Flapper valve flushing toilets were installed at my parents place. These only ever last about a year before the rubber disc starts leaking into the pan, and is found to be...
3
3