Subject Author Posted Replies

mending shoes
My regular source of trainers seems to have gone down in quality, and where the rubber edging to the soles is glued onto the suede / rough leather upp ers it is coming unstuck, leaving a shiny film of...
2
2

Internet going down tonight...
..at 8:00 pm. Episode 12 of Project Binky due for release. Tim
5
5

Question for the structural engineers
Why does the Tees/Middlesbrough transporter bridge have a notch in the middle? Seems to me it's got to be weaker than if it was braced across the gap. Tim...
7
7

Fitting new siphon in low-level toilet cistern?
I'm scratching my head a bit here. Our downstairs khazi has a slimline, low-level cistern with a push-button flush which some family members find very hard to operate, as it requires quite a...
3
3

OT: 2015 UK electricity generation
Quite a comprehensive summary: Also, an interesting program on R4 the other day proposing a 1000 MW interconnector from Iceland. Apparently, most years they have surplus hydro generation. The local...
5
5

Gearing and Torque
Say I have a 50W motor which develops max power at say 8000rpm and through reduction gearing of 8000:1 (to make the maths simple) drives a shaft, does that shaft have the same amount of torque or...
13
13

Re-applying silicone
The silicone bead around a couple of our windows (Inside) is now splitting away with age. Is it feasible to apply a new bead on top of the existing? I'm wary of making a much bigger mess, if I set...
1
1

Dremel mini-drill press - follow-up
You remember my thread about the general 'wobblyness' of the Dremel mini-drill-press ? I contacted Dremel Customer Support - and the sent me this fairly unbelieveable reply The point of the...
2
2

House move: Trades/Craftsmen recommendations, Lincoln area
We are hoping to buy a 2 bedroomed bungalow on the outskirts of Lincoln and are looking for recommendations for trades/craftsmen in the local area to carry out detailed inspections and provide...
20
20

Looking for a decent footpump
I've gone through three footpumps in the last few years, a couple of cheap blue Argos £10 ones and an RAC branded orange one that cost a bit more an d at first seemed a bit better. They all seem to...
11
11

OT beetroot juice
IIRC there was some discussion recently about the above re blood pressure. Having had some unpleasant experiences with the legal high known as beta blockers (and now also with amlodipine), I'm...
83
83

Tufty grass
noticed tufty patches of grass appearing on our lawn. Vaguely wondered about them., Just looked out of window and seen a magpie digging up patches with it's beak. Never noticed that before (and I'm...
5
5

Boxes for external SWA termination
What boxes are allowed/recommended for terminating SWA (2.5mm 3-core) on house/garage walls please? I've only used SWA a few times and the last of those was so long ago I used IIRC metal boxes with...
17
17

Plumbing: Non-Return Valves for Bath Mixer Tap
Bathroom refit being planned. Have bough a wall mounted bath mixer tap with hand shower attachment ( or Whilst I was waiting for Grohe to confirm which were the cold and hot inlet s (I'd assumed the...

Reduction Gearing
Hi all, What's the simplest way to gear a 4,000rpm motor down to 2rpm without going in for a ready-made gearbox? (this is a DIY group, after all!) Would I be best off opting for a sequence of spur...
27
27