Subject Author Posted Replies

Dimmable LED ES lights
Having hit the point where tungsten and halogen bulbs are no longer generally available I am transitioning to LED bulbs, which need to be dimmable for the main living area. With the pair of lights on...
9
9

My own smart meter ?
Does anyone know of an energy monitor for the electricity that I could use without having to sign up for a smart meter ? I see lots of "smart plugs", but want to monitor the whole house. not one...
22
22

TV fault
Every so often, with live TV on my LG 43" 15 year old LCD TV, half the screen becomes garbled. Pic here: the channel, or other sources like DVD seem OK. I can only think this is an aerial problem....
25
25

Tripping tumble dryer
I've a Beko DCU 8230 tumble dryer, about 10 years old, tripping the RCD at or near the end of a cycle. I replaced the mains interference filter on a recommendation about 5 years back after the same...
10
10

Throwing explosive fun
This was prompted by ARW's query about small blue LEDs. I didn't want to hijack his thread so this is under a new heading. Does anyone remember about 40-45 years ago there was a 'toy' : a small wrap...
36
36

OT - small blue LED lights
Passed quite a few of them last few weeks on the way to work but seldom on the way home from work. Random places - but usually on rural roads where it is not safe to stop and inspect. And never in the...
19
19

One for the geeks.
On my desk top is an icon leading to *old Firefox data* 95Mb created last May. I have no idea of the benefit/purpose in keeping this file. W7 pro system. Any thoughts in words of few syllables?
23
23

One-sided pull-out shelves
I have half an airing cupboard I'd like to shelve. The rough floorplan looks like this: |O_| where |_| are the walls and O is the hot water tank. The remaining gap is about 60x60cm so a good space for...
15
15

Outside PIR puzzle
I went out to get firewood a few nights ago and my PIR triggered outside lights just kept blinking intermittently as if they were failing to “latch on”. Ordered a new PIR switch but before it...
7
7

OT: War torn Ukraine vs Nottingham
They cited “terrible” housing conditions and high costs They cited “terrible” housing conditions and high costs
5
5

IHD -Eon-Next
I have a smart meter with an In House Display. It was provided by Eon but now operated by Eon-Next. I have economy 7 electricity but the display only shows one electricity tariff and charges everthing...
19
19

Chrome Book marks disappeared - Zpost
Come to the system today and all my bookmarks have disappeared. Well, there is one showing for the Halifax but all the rest are gone. They were there a few days ago. Google tells me to look for the...
4
4

Backup power, I built a thing
Or how to over complicate something for the fun of it: (if anyone can work out why the syntax highlighting add on for media wiki is not doing is colouring thing, that would be handy!)

Drill repair
Ok. so there is an impact driver in the post:-) While I have your attention, has anyone attempted a gearbox repair on a Makita HP457D ? Engaging low speed has worsened such that several attempts are...
14
14

Looking for wire stripper for thin electronics wire (2023 Update)
I have a couple of 'automatic' wire strippers that work well on T&E and mains flexible cable but they don't work so well on thin electronics wire, especially multi-strand where the individual strands...
18
18