Subject Author Posted Replies

Burglar alarm for garage
I'm looking for a fairly simple set-up for the garage alone. Three separate components: dual PIR/microwave motion sensor, siren, keypad with activation/deactivation code. Mains powered (don't want to...
19
19

[OT] Wordperfect and other older progs
Talking about old files and compatibility in another thread reminded me that I have a folder (directory!) of WP 5.1 files that I have never been able to access successfully, without WP. I know I have...
33
33

Repairing Brtickwork
I have removed three 1.5" waste pipes from a kitchen through wall to outside. I am wondering about patching up the external holes they have left: two of the holes were across two bricks of different...
5
5

Glazing a traditional four panel door
I would like to glaze the top half of a couple of traditional doors like this one. I'm guessing it's just a matter removing the beading and replacing the wood panel with suitable toughened glass. I...
8
8

Gas question
I have had a new kitchen fitted (not diy !!) The old oven was gas - the new oven is electric. There are now no gas appliance in the kitchen - the only supply was to the oven - which terminated in a...
13
13

Screwfix/Hitachi deal
FYI Just seen an advert on TV for an 18v Hitachi combi drill driver c/w 2 x 1.5 a/hr Li=Ion batteries for £79:99. Offer ends 2 May. I've had one for 6 months (paid £99:99 for it), it's a damn good...
3
3

When did lath and plaster go out of fashion?
This house had a deal of war time repairs after bombing. All plasterboard. Parent's house built new in 1936 in Scotland all lath and plaster.
11
11

Old Farm Engines
Our 1941 built Fordson N type was 27 BHP, used until 1971,Dad replaced it with a grey Fergie but that was a Diesel version. Dad could not hand crank the Fordson due to a shoulder injury so I started...
31
31

OT ping Chris Hogg - grass seed
It's a mistake to bury any seed too deeply. Sprinkle on top and rake in gently. Water to close up the soil round the seed. Needs to be kept watered until it germinates
6
6

Doors and glazing
Surely unless its very soft and rubbery, there is usually a finish for most plastics. Brian
5
5

270 degree concealed cupboard hinges
I think the hinges that IKEA use on their kitchen corner base cupboards mig ht suit. The two doors start at 90 deg to each other and end up flat agains t each other when open. If I recall correctly...
6
6

one for the camera buffs..
I changed my desk top printer. The old one had a slot for XD memory cards and called up a Wizard for transferring photos to my PC. The new one only takes SD/MS Duo so I bought a USB adapter. This...
31
31

Crummy Direct Line Ad
Oh indeed. Being able to cut off the mains water after say the kitchen is well worth while. And any outside feeds that are likely to freeze.
36
36

Server fans
I have half a dozen of something of this weight and material: I am pretty sure that they could work off a case psu but have no idea which wires to try first. The model is pretty ancientredundant shop...
5
5

Aldi d-i-y 1 May
Double bevel sliding mitre saw £79.99 Plus shelving, spanners, portable compressor, electric screwdriver...
4
4