Subject Author Posted Replies

Instantaneous Water Heaters
I think I'm being a bit stupid, but I can't work out the operation of these units. If you have a instantaneous gas water heater do you have to keep changing the unit's set temperature when you want to...
8
8

Bargain Alert: Dremel-style 163 piece kit for 15 quid
Looks a good buy: "Xenta 163 Piece Rotary Tool and Accessory Kit" 15 of your Earth pounds with free del.
5
5

How to build a playlist of Radio 4 programs?
At present I go to bed and put on Radio 4 and fall asleep, it turns into th e world service and if I wake up, I listen for a bit then fall asleep again , without the radio there is less sleep....
7
7

Electromagnetic Door Control wiring
This is 24V and need to cable up between closer and switched supply. I have checked the supply does go off with a fire alarm! What cable should I use? I'd rather use something other than mains cable...
15
15

Advice needed on choosing and mixing tiles
I know anything to do with decoration is a personal thing but I am asking f or opinions from people who made a choice of tiles I am about to make. About the only wall/floor tile at a realistic price...
3
3

ot - possibly - guidance pls
Hi- can anyone explain in plain English why I'm seeing lots of replies to various posts ie post with subject hearing RE:xxxxxxxxxxxx but i'm not seeing the original posts ? some posts are being rec'd...
11
11

Does Paslode gas deteriotate?
The (propane ?) in a Paslode Nail Gun is in a sealed container. It bears a 'best before' date code, and various sources say that it does actually deteriorate over time. Has anyone actual evidence that...
11
11

TMH is Vincent Price
ITV3 now. Directed by Jeannot Szwarc. With Peter Falk, Vera Miles, Martin Sheen, Sian Barbara Allen. The formula for a miracle wrinkle cream leads the founder of a cosmetics company to murder and...

Strimmer carburettor
Not a happy bunny. The strimmer - Stihl FS55 wouldn't run properly the other day. It'd start, it'd idle, but not well - but the slightest throttle saw it cough and fart and die. Took the top off the...
31
31

Loft Ladder and Boarding Out
Sometime in the next few months I expect to have to fit a loft ladder and board out a loft in a new house. The space will be used only for storage. First question: What do I need to look for in a loft...
22
22

Boxing in a steel beam
Just to explore options. I would assume the exposed parts of a steel "I" bean would be (typically) be boxed in plaster board then skimmed. Could the vertical faces of the beam be plasterboarded and...
6
6

Question about floor levelling preparation and finishing
Hi I have a solid floor in my kitchen that used to have vinyl tile cover. Thes e tiles have been removed and the floor is uneven so levelling compound is going to be used. Can the top surface of the...
1
1

What makes a bathroom a bathroom?
I see... thanks, and I hope no-one was misled by my wrong answer. So presumably what you and I might regard as a truly *enormous* bedroom, with a shower cubicle tucked away somewhere in a corner, is...
49
49

Repacing under-countertop Belfast sink..
..with stainless steel? A friend moved into a house with black polished stone countertops and a 60cm wide Belfast sink fitted underneath. She hates it. She's has a couple of folk in about changing the...
1
1

Should that be smoking?
Trying out me so far unused Lidl soldering station. Read all the instructions, fired it up, waiting a while before tinning the tip. Should all that smoke be coming out? Oh gawd!!! Forgot to remove the...
3
3