Subject Author Posted Replies

Don't try this at home
A huge fire which destroyed six luxury apartments was started after a pensioner used a red hot paint stripper to defrost a freezer, sources claim.
7
7

Another cupboard project
...although for a friend this time: (first draft, so it may not be English! Feel free to fix if you so desire!) Face frame cupboard - DIYWiki
3
3

Shed of the Year 2016 in Pictures
some of you blokes will enjoy this: A gallery of some of the best entries for Cuprinol?s Shed of the Year 2016 competition Some of the best entries for Cuprinol’s Shed of the Year 2016...
1
1

TV: Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home
Hidden Killers of the Post-War Home. Dr Suzannah Lipscomb explores the time when British people embraced modern design for the first time after years of austerity and self-denial. The look and feel of...
6
6

Expanding foam - or firework?
Well - I am not impressed... If the EU wanted to do something useful, they'd have dealt with this, not fecked about with hoovers. Me and mate are adding teh second layer of insulation in the dormer....
23
23

have hot water but no heating, there are no lights on the wr1 receiver does it need replaced
1
1

More Work Electrical Qs
Hi all The DIY bit is that I will be overseeing! This is a follow up to "Electrical Regs and Business Requirements" from 17-05-16. Adam has defined the lack of RCDs on our workplace power circuits as...
14
14

Curtain tracks
Will likely be moving to a new house in the near future. One of the earliest jobs will be putting up curtain tracks as neither of us can cope with sleeping in rooms that are not sufficiently dark....
15
15

A 'Phoney tale
Some five years ago, I went to Carphone Warehouse and bought just about their cheapest mobile, an Alcatel, and a £5/month Talkmobile SIM. For my limited requirements, the combination is great. I...
17
17

Mums Microwave died.
Hi all, We got a call from my (86 year old) Mum today to say that she saw smoke coming out of her microwave so she unplugged it and carried it out into the garden! It's not a modern lightweight jobby...
64
64

tanalized timber: paint or not?
I bought a length of 4" x 1" tanalized timber to replaxe my roof's rotting facia board. I also bought a can of clear liquid wood preservative to apply for good measure. My question is: will this...

Any advance on Araldite?
I need to buy some more 2 part epoxy adhesive for odd jobs such as china repair and metal to metal bonding and general repairs. I've used standard slow curing araldite in two tubes and been perfectly...
22
22

Insulated foundations for Structural Insulated Panels SIPS
From the how thin can a wall be thread, mention of SIPs. Looking around found this interesting thread about potential for cold bridging rotting the sole plate of the wall out: Insulated foundations...

OT: traffic cone flashing beacons
How to they get a line of them to all blink in a "cascade"? I'm guessing some sort of Bluetooth link and some software to control triggering but I'm not sure what initiates the cascade and what stops...
22
22

Glue or Sealant for Soles of Boots and Shoes
It seems to me durability of soles and heels for Shoes and Boots these days just gets less and less. A while ago when the Woolworths shops were in business I could get rubber corners to stick on to...
8
8