Subject Author Posted Replies

Electric motor query - power and torque
I'm looking at buying and electric bike - at 70+ I need a bit of assistance ! I was an electronics engineer so am reasonably aware of electric motor powe r, and also what torque is. But can someone...
43
43

TMH
His wife passed away and TMH will not be posting for a while. They managed 35 years of marriage and he says it was not all bad.
39
39

3 pin plug (on battery charger)
I'm a bit disappointed my new battery charger didn't come with a standard UK mains plug but some Euro shaver-type plug with 2 round pins. Don't the regs say all UK electrical equipment must come with...
31
31

Where to buy a white, UPVC version of 4" x 1" timber (5M length for attaching roof guttering to)
Does anyone know where can I buy white, plastic version of 4" x 1" timber (5M length)? I was going to use tanalized timber, but some of you recommended using UPVC. All I can find is 10mm x 100mm UPVC...
6
6

Sellotape in door lock
I used my front door key to open a parcel last night, shoved said key in the front door lock (euro type) this morning and it didn't feel right. Withdrew it and noted it was somewhat laminated in...
22
22

New apprentice starts on Tuesday
Might as well sit him in a handcart and show him the way.
6
6

OT shopping
I have just reviewed my on line purchases over the past month. Apart from the fact that I seem to have become an Amazon addict, not one of the purchases came from the EU, a couple came from the UK,...
9
9

Getting chocolate out of carpet
Someone, probably me :-( has dropped a piece of chocolate onto a pile carpet. The chocolate has melted in the sun and is now a dark lump of chocolate-carpet composite. The carpet is synthetic, but...
4
4

OT, Chris Hogg grass seed
I mowed the lawn a day or so ago. I did not intend to mow the defunct flower beds with the newish grass seed, but they jumped out on me. I have big feet. The grass looks splendid and has grown very...
3
3

A dog's life... after the referendum
If we leave the EU, we will have to ensure that all immigrant dogs are returned whence they came. The only dog breeds which will be allowed are in the list below. (Adjustments may be made if further...
47
47

USB risk (slightly OT)
FFS how difficult would it be for IOS / Android to pop up a message saying "Is it OK to talk to this port, or should I just get power?" Read about the latest tech news and developments from our team...
10
10

CPC offer.
They have an 18v Makita combi with two 1.5 batteries and tool kit for 144 quid. http://cpc.farnell.com/makita/dhp453ryx5/18v-combi-drill-101-bit-set-kit/dp/TL1840367?CMP=e-email-270516-Tradesman-01

Gewiss enclosures and mounting DIN rail
I have a much bigger version of one of those ^^ but it has the same (but more) arrangements of small screw posts and supporting ribs along the bottom (bottom being if the box were sat with the opening...

Joining soft sandstone - with wiggle room
I have a bird bath of sentimental value, where the stone support has broken in two. It does fit back together, and an earlier attempt to stick it with PVA lasted for a short while, but I need a...
13
13

Push-fit connectors for cupboard shelving
I have a kitchen cupboard under the sink. There is quite a conglomerate of piping there including of course the kitchen sink waste outlet pipes. I want to mount a vertical panel (using an old cupboard...
7
7