Subject Author Posted Replies

Portable lights & electrical safety/PAT
Typical BC lampholders have a rear that can be unscrewed without a tool - I thought that was a PAT test fail. They also have cordgrips that are questi onable PATwise. They also usually have no maximum...
20
20

Water Meter Reader
I had just got up when I saw the water meter reader lifting the cover on the pavement to take a reading. I noticed he has a spray bottle of something and assumed it was to clean the window of the...
3
3

Hole in thin steel
I want to make about a 1.25" hole in the base of a few food cans. What's the best option? NT
22
22

Fix garage door?
Seeing another post about a garage door has reminded me that my mum and dad's garage door is knackered. I didn't have time to look at it properly when I was last there, but I'd like to be prepared for...
10
10

Riverside Cottage 4 (I think)
Underfloor heating. Insulation thoughts... the existing ground floor has 25mm Jablite topped with 22mm chip. Recommendation is to over fit 25mm of pre-grooved insulation and a further set of flooring:...
18
18

Surestop valves and PRVs
Anyone used them and rate them? My parents have a holiday apartment and it's a requirement of the insurance co that the water is turned off when the place is unoccupied. Looks easier than shifting all...
11
11

Maybe there is a case for Smartmeters
SSE today: "We?ve worked out you?ve used more electricity this period than in the same period last year. This is based on an estimated reading for this bill." They must be clairvoyant. But when I...
7
7

It isn't the leaflets I object to as such...
...if they would only use something soft and absorbent to print them on instead of this useless glossy stuff.
2
2

(OT) Mobile Phone Screen Protectors
My grandson's phone has a plastic film screen protector that had lots of air bubbles under it. I tried to improve it but eneded up making it "unsticky". I want to replace it but note on EBay that they...
9
9

Gas oven reluctant to heat up.
Hi folks, Our gas oven (New World, 20+ odd years old) is being reluctant to heat up. Old behaviour: Turn knob oven to required setting, a bit of clicking, flame lights, few seconds and then it grows...
9
9

Garage door sticks in damp weather
I have a pair of wooden, side-opening garage doors, like these but rather bigger: (or During the damp winter months they stick over the bottom 25% or so, to the extent that when damp and open they...
2
2

Up & over garage door replacement
Not DIY as such as I'll get someone to do it, but what would the panel recommend to replace an aging U&O door with a roll up type, any particular brands? The more secure the better obviously. Cheers
7
7

Connected plumbing-related probs?
Mains water leak under the kitchen sink. Chaffing by the chipboard shelf over 30 years had eventually punctured the 15mm copper pipe to the cold tap. While in there noticed the screw for the...

What is so bad about plasterboard?
Several messages both on Usenet and from people I know seem to suggest that most recycling or waste sites run by councils won't take plasterboard, saying its a hazard. Excuse me, but my ceilings are...
62
62

Concealed junction box in ceiling
I need a subtle concealed ceiling junction box, access is only available from below (flat roof). Best I can come up with is a plasterboard BESA box and white lid. Has anyone done anything else to...
2
2