Subject Author Posted Replies

stuck union nut
Please see attached photo, I try and turn the nut by pulling the spanner upwards which I presume is the correct way and hold the valve with pliers but the pipe just bends, Ive used WD 40 and I'm,...
6
6

Extractor fan timer
I've got a 4" extractor fan (Model GET GFAN4P) in my bathroom with a separate ceiling pull switch. It doesn't have a timer. Short of replacing the fan completely, is it possible to add a timer to the...
4
4

Help with phone type connectors?
My lad needs an extension lead for an aircon controller and I am struggling to identify the plug / socket name. It's not an ordinary "ethernet" (RJ45?) or what I think of as the DSL lead (RJ11?)...
4
4

Blocks onto oak wall plate how?
I'm going to build a few layers of lightweight blocks on top of an old oak wall plate as part of roof reconstruction. My plan is a thin layer of mortar on the oak, then blocks and mortar. Portland...
3
3

Coil hose connectors
I got one of those coil hoses, and so far, I'm quite pleased with it - it's very easy to put away, which is why I wanted one in the first place. Since it was an 'experimental' purchase, I got the...
1
1

So, the water came through the kitchen ceiling
Is that the cause? I've lived in my house for over 20 years. In the last few, I've noticed that on the single-storey, pitched title roof of my kitchen, we have a good amount of moss, but this has only...
10
10

Lock on aluminium door.
In a bungalow, the front and back doors are both aluminium and have pins that come out of the top and bottom. In the case of the front door, it is impossible to raise the handle to move the pins out,...
12
12

A little OT: electric kettle versus kettle on induction ring
My solar installation is limited to 5kW. It can go to 7 for a bit, but I try to avoid it. Trouble is, our kettle uses almost 3kW. So if the water heater is on and the aircon etc. at the same time, we...
41
41

Fitting an outside tap
When you screw in an outside tap into the wall plate, how do you ensure that the tap is screwed in very tightly to the wall plate so that it will not move or leak - and the tap is itself vertical?
13
13

Quite amusing
Battle of the Thames 2016:
8
8

The UK's Small Modular Reactor Competition
Let's talk about something other than Brexit and the gay club shootings. The UK's Small Modular Reactor Competition "The UK government has launched a competition to select a design of a small modular...
45
45

CPC/Farnell being sold
Looks like Farnell is being sold... Hope that doesn't screw up CPC/Farnell... One of the companies licensed to make the Raspberry Pi mini computer, Premier Farnell, agrees to be bought by...
22
22

Filling screw holes and small gaps - white painted skirting
I need to fill some screw holes (counter sunk screws), some gaps in angled joins and some gaps under the skirting. Looking at various Internet sites the advice is conflicting. A lot of people advise...
14
14

The sound of hot and cold running water
Why is it that when you run water from the hot tap, it initially makes more noise as it it running through the pipe/tap while the water is cold (having cooled down in the pipe) compared with when the...
15
15

Sterling prices.
Are sterling prices falling because we might vote leave and if so why do leavers keep saying it will go up if we leave?
215
215