Subject Author Posted Replies

Working with a long reach hedge trimmer
We've got this long reach hedge trimmer from Scr ewfix to overcome difficulties in reaching hard to access spots of our hedg e, and to replace the existing set of trimmers (whcih SWMBO had stripped th...
11
11

If Salvador Dali did oven elements...
On Friday I had a call from a former next door neighbour; "help my circuit breaker is tripping!" So I went round to investigate. When I finally managed to convince him that he was not overloading the...
30
30

Boiler flue position
Hi All I'm trying to find the best location for a new boiler in the kitchen. The obvious choice is on the wall near the kitchen sink. The flue would have to exit above the window (non-opener) and I...
4
4

Just bought one of those magnetic door screens
The one where magnets pull the two halves of the screen together (Lidl). A neat solution, apart from the means of fixing around the door frame. The series of magnets where they part, neatly pull the...
1
1

Bosch AKE 40 chainsaw question - is the -19 version worth the extra cost?
I was about to buy a Bosch AKE 40-19S chainsaw from SFix when I saw that Homebase have a cheaper Bosch AKE 40S. The obvious differences are a slightly higher motor power and chain speed on the -19 but...
10
10

Doubled up 9.5mm PB vs 12.5mm PB
This is plasterboard --- Is there any downside to using 2 sheets of 9.5mm on studwork walls (will be skimmed) vs 1 sheet of 12.5mm? I have relatively little wall to cover compared to ceilings and it...
10
10

vinyl floor sealer
Hi all, Have just had new vinyl floor covering put in my bathroom, I was looking for a sealer type of thing I could put on it before we get urine stains around the WC. I can see lots of big tubs of...
11
11

Dishwashered mixer parts - now discoloured
We have a very old Kenwood mixer, with aluminium beaters. We unfortunately put them in the dishwasher, and they are now covered in a soft black deposit. What's the best way to get that off and if...
8
8

Glazing bars for shed
I'm after something to simplify glazing the sloping front of a shed/sunhouse. The existing woodwork has rotted so I need to replace it. The windows are sloping at about 30 degrees from the vertical...

Window mouldings for sheds - can one get tanalized?
I'm replacing the (quite large) windows in a shed/sunhouse. The existing supports are very rotten but the basic shed is OK still. So I'm looking for tanalized (or otherwise protected) window moldings...
4
4

Garden shredder only goes in reverse. (Makes buzzing sound and grinder doesn't rotate in normal shredding mode)
My garden shredder is a Performance Power Tools PWR2100QSA machine (2100W). I used it today for the first time in three years. It worked fine for about 30 minutes, but then after running it in...
4
4

Limiting shower flow
We have mains shower off combi boiler and the flow rate is quite high due to high mains pressure. I've measure about 9 l/min. I'm looking at reducing the flow rate and have found for instance this...
11
11

Any tips on choosing a sealed double-glazed unit, to replace one with condensation?
I acquired a double-glazed upvc window (second hand) that is exactly the si ze I need, but it has condensation between the panes. I've never replaced a sealed unit before. Is there much difference...
4
4

Join for 2 pieces of wood ?
See image. What would be the best way to join these 2 pieces (part of an octogon) The rebate is approx 3/4 x 3/4 inch. My thoughts are 2 screws + exterior wood glue at each joint as per the red line.
14
14

Smart Meter - again
We have had the Smart Meters + display in now for over a month -OVO. I have just had the statement, which is more than covered by the fixed DD, so now we are showing as being in credit on OVO's site....
30
30