Subject Author Posted Replies

Parts needed for Glow Worm Sunrod G50 boiler
The gas valve and / or burner on my faithful old Sunrod G50 boiler have finally failed after about 50 years use. Unlikely, I know, but I don't suppose anyone has these parts available, or any idea...
29
29

the heating spiel post
Well, well strange how I don't qualify even though I live in a single walled terraced house which I own and get dla. Oh well I'll stick with my storage heaters mysteriously installed for free by a...
4
4

UPVC single-casement window: changing it from right-hung to left-hung?
Hello all, I've acquired a side-hung UPVC single-casement window that is exactly the r ight design and size that I need, except that I'd prefer it if the opening part were left-hung rather than...
5
5

OT the blonde and the two blacks
I had to laugh. BBC TV news last night, main item was the increase in anti-terrorist police activity. So they showed the police stopping a blonde white woman to find out if she was a terrorist and...
61
61

Inspection chamber cover: Screws wl not unscrew...
Previous owners had fastened down an inspection chamber lid on the patio, but the screws will not budge. Tried numerous applications of PlusGas, and it does disappear down the sides of the screws,...
39
39

Signalex Android phone charger stand from Poundland.
I bought one of these yesterday. Small problem, the plug which is polarised is reversed where it connects to the phone, so the phone is backwards! I took it back today and found that they had two...
15
15

Copper cylinder question.
I've spotted a very small leak from the top flange on our copper cylinder heating coil. I'm planning to drain the cylinder and push something in the gap this weekend. I'm just wondering if it's...
27
27

Bridge collapse
surprised that only the brick facing walls are holding in the outward forces resulting from the load on the roadway. Why not tie bars and spreader plates to stop the walls being pushed outwards?
44
44

OT: Euro notes not changed in UK?
I had a EUR 20 note recently which I needed to change for GBP, but apparent ly they can no longer be changed in the UK, I tried both my bank branch ("c omputer says no") and two bureaux de change...
18
18

More DIY (part 2)
I finished the second version: Garden bench - DIYWiki
14
14

Anyone here got a Bosch Rotak 40 mower?
Hi All, Trying to help an elderly couple with their 'Bosch Rotak 40' mains mower where the sprung loaded top flap has become unsprung: Now it looks like that spring should have an arm that goes though...
19
19

Has anyone made any Scottish or Northumbrian smallpipes?
I've made/restored a range of instruments and am wondering now about either making an "English" layout concertina or some smallpipes ... currently the smallpipes are top of the list so I'm starting a...
10
10

Soldering connector to electric hob cable?
For a Neff ceramic electric hob, I need to replace the cable from the control switch to the largest element. The previous cable had corroded where the right angle crimp connector attached to the hob...
15
15

Seized garden shredder
This is one of the crusher type, rather than a spinning knife. It failed to get appropriate maintenance last autumn unfortunately - ie one of us used it and didn't clean it out. Nor in hindsight did I...
5
5

OT More on wind turbines.
Study concludes there is no ‘detrimental effect’ on the number of holidaymakers in places with wind turbines
5
5