Subject Author Posted Replies

Stopping pipe expansion movement noise
In the landing floor I have some long pipe runs (with expansion joints at the mid point) that are noisy when heating/cooling. I've tried slightly enlarging the joist notch sizes and fitting extra felt...
7
7

SMS update.
After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for my smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter details) a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different...
15
15

Handy Drinking Water
I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask. Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been...
24
24

Car battery
Anyone changed a battery on a modern car? Professional mark up looks to be about £50. My VW passat is not liking the current cold weather. There seem to be several possible gotchas beyond the old...
88
88

Cleaning Agent when soldering
Going to you tube to learn about soldering i see different people suggest readily available house hold products for use prior to soldering. Namely: Alcohol (or surgical spirit), lemon, toilet lime...
35
35

Leccy prices.
EDF are saying it's 59p a unit - is that for real?
44
44

Faulty Thermostatic radiator valve
A thermostatic valve on the radiator in the spare room appears to have failed. It will turn without any resistance, and the radiator will not warm up. The other radiators...
23
23

DOH!!!
"Sub-Zero products are not designed to operate ...... where it will encounter below-freezing temperatures." That has to be the best foot in mouth I've ever seen. How to guides and quick answers to...
2
2

Short Supply
The New Battleships in Europe’s Energy War Are in Short Supply By Carol Ryan, Dec. 1, 2022, WSJ Regasification ships are critical in Europe’s energy war with Russia. That is hard luck for other...

Worst temperature to burst frozen pipes?
I vaguely recall ice expands to its maximum volume at -4 C. Would less cold temperatures (such as -2 C) for a sustained period cause ice to expand enough to burst uninsulated 15 mm copper pipes in a...
13
13

Water cutting jet
Well, this water cutting jet impressed me .... Fascinating on Twitter: "Watch what 90,000 PSI (pound-force per square inch) water jet cut can cut through. https://t.co/RzqvsnvOQ3" / Twitter...
15
15

Retaining Dyson V8
I have never been greatly impressed with this appliance. The battery life is very restricted (especially on the high power setting). It is not as powerful as I expected for removing dirt. As the...
9
9

Anyone updated to Forte Agent v. 8?
I've been on version 6 for some years. Is version 8 worth the update?
4
4

Energy price rises for some on this group in January
Energy billing From January £39/year rise for those who pay on receipt of bills. <>"The bump up for those who pay in receipt of bills takes the premium for paying that way to more than 10% over...
11
11

Importing messages into Thunderbird
Can one of you fine folk advice me how to import messages from Thunderbird on my old PC to Thunderbird on a new PC? I've tried copying everything in the email folders on the old PC into the...
12
12