Subject Author Posted Replies

Flushing radiators using Magnaclean
I have 18 radiators on an old system to which I have fitted a Magnaclean. I understand that it can be a practical proposition to close all radiators bar one and then run the system to flush out that...
5
5

Disabling a house alarm
The alarm outside our house has become extremely difficult to access, due to building work (removing a rusty fire escape put in when the building was an orphanage). I'm wondering if it is possible to...
18
18

Wood cracking
We have a pile of pearwood discs around 10-12" diameter, bark still on. The y're starting to dry and cracking badly, cracking from outer edges running partway toward the centre. I take it the outer...
31
31

Ha ha they cannot even get this right
Scammers take note of the obvious problems in this email to me. Hello! You may be sceptical about this email due to the proliferation of Internet scam. And notable amongst these scam is the "lottery...
12
12

Skirting board question
I ordered some white oak skirting board from Wickes a few weeks ago. Wondering where it was, I checked my account to find that it is supposed to have been delivered. Anyway, I'm fed up of exchanging...
2
2

Restoring burglar alarm default codes
My late mother's property has a burglar alarm system, a Scantronic 9651, installed around 1993. Just recently, one of the PIR sensors started giving false alerts and needed replacing. I have both user...
14
14

How to remove Danish oil from laminate work surface
I'm mildly in the dog house because I left a tin of Danish oil on a kitchen work surface and failed to notice that the bottom of the tin was wet with the oil. We now have a dried rectangular mark that...
11
11

totally OT: Haiti and hurricanes..
Haiti is experiencing the worst humanitarian crisis.... ...since the last humanitarian crisis!
6
6

New euro cylinder alignment problem
Hi all, I have just purchased a new keyed alike set of euro cylinders (anti-pick, anti-bump, anti-snap) to replace the existing ones of unknown level of security. I replaced 2 of them OK but the third...
8
8

Chainsaw - Bosch or Makita
My 30 odd year old B&D has finally given up the ghost so a new corded electric chainsaw is required. I'm tempted by the Bosch AKE40-19s or 35-19s models but wondered about Makita. I've no experience...
14
14

Big reductions on some TurboUltra stainless screws at Screwfix just now
I was just looking for some small sizes of TurboUltra stainless screws at Screwfix and thus searched for 'TurboUltra' and sorted by price. As a result I spotted some bargains on larger sizes, e.g.:-...

Nuisance calls near zero
Since I fitted a set of phones with the TruCall call filter system, the nuisance calls have almost come to an end. It has logged not a single call in over 7 days. I don't really understand why - most...
54
54

[Cured} added to the front of most junk emails
Recently I get the above, about 90% of the time. I use Mozilla Thunderbirds. Not a problem I just am pondering on the meaning.
3
3

Maybe OT: LED bulb for car interior light
First asked this in but just thought there is probably more chance of someone knowing this in here :D Looking at replacing the normal bulb in the interior cabin light of the car with an LED. It's a...
26
26

On Site guide page 69 cable buried in plaster
My house has solid walls with plaster, I was going to groove the plaster and bury cable in it Do I need plastic conduit? I've got the yellow on site guide, trying to work out what size cable to buy,...
3
3