Subject Author Posted Replies

Repainting ride-on mower deck
Hi folks! I have the cutter deck removed from my John Deere ride-on mower - while the 'tractor' section is in for its service. Can't remember how old it is - probably at least 10 years - and, when not...
28
28

Help with size of bolts, please
We inherited a cot with only half the bolts. It's this one: have the 65mm bolts, but the 50mm ones are missing. The leaflet specifies the length of the bolts, but not the diameter or thread. I checked...
9
9

Word for connecting something nicely without voltage fluctuation?
Good idea, although I don't seem to have busted my car doing it yet - I do it every time I use it, since something drains the battery at up to 4 amps with all the fuses removed. I'm guessing...
12
12

Heat pump one year stats (2023 Update)
Just over a year ago we had a 13kW Grant air source heat pump installed. It's in a 1960s chalet bungalow with a very leaky loft conversion, 1990s cavity wall insulation, 100mm loft insulation, 2021...
24
24

Mains pressure HW tank immersion replacement
The immersion heater on our Albion Ultrasteel pressurised tank has died. I’m guessing the I’ll need to drain it down to replace it (it’s near the base of the cylinder). Is it a straightforward...
1
1

Screwfix branch phone numbers
Are there any?
12
12

Does an airer really save money when drying clothes?
Everywhere I see advice suggesting that using an airer or indoor line to dry clothes saves money compared with a tumble dryer. However doesn't this just transfer the heat required to evaporate the...
62
62

Quarter turn tap cartridges
Is there any difference between the brass bodied quarter turn cartridges for mixer taps for cold and hot water apart from the bottom seal (which you don't see when fitted) being red or blue? I'm...
2
2

Warm air boilers
I've noticed a couple of houses that used to have a central warm air heating system, since replaced by a conventional gas boiler and radiators. But for some reason they've kept all the ducts, grilles,...
24
24

Those in Sheffield without any gas
are complaining. They ought to stop whinging as they are giving South Yorkshire a bad name. They still have electricity and running water. How many millions of Ukrainians have neither ATM. How many...
69
69

Thunderbird feedback
Thank for the advice on transferring data to between Thunderbird installations. Ive now updated it to the latest version on the old PC and the "Export" option has appeared in the "Tools" drop-down...

Curious said Alice
Mail attachment. FFOX HTML doc. 357kB pdf Printer refuses to print complaining about insufficient memory. On previous similar occasions, printing from a saved version has worked. Not this time. W7 pro...
22
22

Stopping pipe expansion movement noise
In the landing floor I have some long pipe runs (with expansion joints at the mid point) that are noisy when heating/cooling. I've tried slightly enlarging the joist notch sizes and fitting extra felt...
7
7

SMS update.
After losing count of how many times I'd phoned them about the IHD for my smart meters not working correctly (would only show the gas meter details) a new one arrived in the post yesterday. Different...
15
15

Handy Drinking Water
I always like to keep some drinking water in the car Boot. I have it stored it in a metal flask. Thinking it was in the dark i assumed it would keep almost indefinitely and i guess it could have been...
24
24