Subject Author Posted Replies

"Max 60W"
Do the maximum wattage warnings on (oldish) light fittings only apply to incandescent bulbs? I assume it's because of the heat melting the fitting? So I can put a 100W equivalent LED in a light...
23
23

Doorbells... 18VDC in to 8VAC out?
Hello. I have an old wired doorbell that has an 18V DC power supply. The actually transformer has been (I think) channelled into the wall, or underfloor boards in the attic. i.e. hard to get to. A new...
35
35

OT: Grid on point of collapse as system buy price breaks £1.50 per unit barrier
And that's at midday, with what solar there is, having the most impact. Coal nuclear gas and woodburning just about flat out, and pumped storage being used up prior to the evening peak. STOR not...
52
52

Different architrave/skirting.
While decorating the living room, I've noticed that the architrave and skirting are different profiles. It seems that the architrave is the torus profile, and the skirting board is ogee. Oddly, it's...
12
12

Filing door frames and nail holes with quark
Hi all, I've filled a doorframe using quark, they are to be painting white I've filed with a bit of quark over each nail hole and now realise I've probably made an error as I can't sand it! Could I...
10
10

Wiring regs question
In Oct 2000, I wired up this sauna directly to my fuse box, so can I be done for not getting a proper sparks to do it under the new regs of 2005? https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cwtx_K2XcAAqWVf.jpg...
7
7

soup box?
A friend pointed up at my end gable and said I should have my soup box cleaned out.....I didn't know what he was on about and just agreed...what was he on about? ....
8
8

A decent dimmer
that can do 5kVA... I used to use a dimmer like that years ago. NT variac, auto transformer, variable transformer - Volteq is a leading manufacturer of regulated variable DC power supplies.
1
1

OT: Usenet reader/posting software?
Howdy all, When I first frequented the Usenet, decades ago, I think 'Forte Free Agent' was my software of choice for reading and posting. Then it stopped being f ree, if I remember correctly. After...
19
19

Pathetic
The 20 year old apprentice nearly shit himself because there was a mouse in the room.
32
32

What is the lightest (in weight) stone chippings or pea gravel I can buy?
A weird question, I know. But I'm putting tyres on a concrete roof and filling them with stones to make a living roof. However, I don't want to add too much unnecessary weight to the roof. The amount...
24
24

Mobile Phone advice (OT)
I have a very old and basic Nokia 1616 (it has a torch and that is as good as it gets) I use Pay AS you Go with EE. I would guite like a smart phone (Android) now as I find my tablet useful but a bit...
45
45

Bulbs
Y'know, when I was little, we had 60w bayonets and that was it, unless you decided to go mad and get a 100w bayonet. Now I actually need to have a wr itten bulb inventory with which...
85
85

Powerfix Line Laser
Coming soon to Lidl... ...but what is it? I can't make out what it's for or how you'd use it. Cheers http://www.lidl.co.uk/en/our-offers-2491.htm?action=showDetail&id=38696...
12
12

Reversing gutter runs
I have 2 or 3 nice long gutters which run from the back of the bungalow to the front and then into the drainpipes. I'd like to collect the rain water for watering the back and topping up the small...
36
36