Subject Author Posted Replies

Adjusting old upvc "flag" hinges - a lost cause?
Hi, I replaced old, split, upvc flipper gasket on a upvc door with type R6346X. The gasket fitted in the groove in the door and frame with some effort. No w when I close the door there is quite a bit...
4
4

Water dripping from woodwork
I recently noticed a damp patch on the concrete floor at the front of the house. The boiler is installed in the loft and the condensate drain has been poked out of the loft to empty the condensate...
8
8

Voter Registration Limiting Factors!
Democracy is all well and good, but it seems that some individuals should not be permitted to vote. The Brexit vote was derailed by lies and dishonosty regarding immigration and the NHS spending, and...
9
9

Adhesive for a knife
I have a very useful knife with a wooden (bamboo) handle, which SWMBO decided would benefit from being run through the dishwasher. Because of this, the handle has split (only a little) and the steel...
2
2

No CH unless hot water on
Currently have to control heating manually by putting on hot water and manually opening 2 zone port valve. So heating only works if hot water on and manually open valve. If switch hot watet off but...
14
14

[OT] Where to get a balanced and varied source of news in the UK?
I'm getting right pissed off with the media (and have been for some time). It's mostly biased sensationalist tripe where the headline is a far far offbeat interpretation of even the words contained...
35
35

Microporous paint
Has anyone worked with microporous paint? I was told my windows were painted with this stuff. Does this mean I should use microporous paint next time or is it only used by original manufacturers? Does...
4
4

Electronics prototyping PCB
I bought this board over 30 years ago, I have developed many a circuit on it. I hesitate to call it a breadboard, because that term seems to have been hijacked by a particular type of solderless...
35
35

CB radio installation success
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to use two whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp. Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be good to...
11
11

Baxi Wentworth
A friend's father has a Baxi Wentworth gas fire which has suddenly stopped doing anything. The friend is a retired electronics engineer, but is in ill-health. He has measured the transformer in the...
4
4

OT: Whither "toby"?
Does anyone know why (in Scotland at least) a water cock (or its cover) in the street is known as a "toby"? Do different regions have different names for it (besides stopcock)? Just curious. Tim
20
20

Downlights - Low Voltage to Mains rating
I have quite a few of these in my kitchen, used with 50W MR16 bulbs and transformers (one per light): and According to this they are rated 12v AC, and should only be used with MR16 bulbs. I would like...
8
8

Burying cables...
I had some photos, so thought they would make a fairly dull wiki article! (hack about as you see fit!) Cable burial - DIYWiki
46
46

Free electricity?
On 2SEP16, I decided to swap my electricity to British Gas so that I could have free leccy on Sat or Sun 0900-1700 for a sauna etc. It is now 12NOV16 and I have not found how to submit a meter...
30
30

easifill on plaster
Hi I had wall extended and there is difference in level (3-4 mil )thats really bugging me. Left side of the wall - painted plasterboard Right side - multifinisch plaster on plasterboard. Can I skim...
4
4