Subject Author Posted Replies

CH leaks
We have a problem with pressure loss in our central heating system. Topping up each day and loosing 1bar or so in a matter of hours shows something is wrong. Brit. Gas have said there must be a leak...
63
63

BA: £55 for Bosch SDS+ Drill
Only a green Bosch, but this seems cheap for a 2Kg SDS+ drill. Bosch PBH 2100 Rotary Hammer Drill - 550W - £55 1.7 J/stroke. http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4116354
4
4

Boiler puzzle
Worcester 28i 15 years old. Remote thermostat. Segmented clock timer. Does not start central heating in the morning although hot water is fine. However central heating ignites and system works...
1
1

What's it called?
The dash board light on my (heritage ) car are strange ones. They are filament but there is no metal base, the wires just emerge from a glass capsule and are bent over. It just pushes into the holder....
10
10

winter heating allowance
never having claimed any allowances from the gov WHY do they make the rules for winter heating SO unfathomable ? ...
114
114

Cashless society?
Went to Waitrose yesterday and used coupons to get £80 off, but when t he cashier was ready for the cards it rejected all three due to a faulty re ader, so I had to go outside and get £140 in real...
5
5

How can I sense hot water flow?
Our kitchen hot water tap is always getting left on because it is low flow and you cannot hear it running - and there is no point in shouting at the f amily because there is only two of us here and we...
15
15

potertton profile 60eL
this boiler pilot light is ok but main burner not starting, when i press the reset button its burner comes up but when i move my finger from reset button its go off again, is there any problem with...

Is this light switch ok
I have to replace a 2 gang dimmer switch, one gang operates the lights, the other gang I havent a clue, dont even know if it is wired. Anyhow I bought a replacement but just noticed it is a 2 gang, 2...
31
31

Quiz - down lights and that extension
OK so we have first fixed the basement and ground floor of the extension. And the customer seems to like down lights. We will also be rewiring the existing house. So how many down lights will we end...
26
26

Plant torture
Is it ok to saw a plant in half so I get two? Yes I know it's out of focus, I didn't check it before potting the plants, I dunno what the camera focused on, but I can't see it in the picture.
12
12

Buzzzz!
Following a series of electrician induced power failures (*) yesterday afternoon the audio output from my PC now has severe mains hum on it. I have a Arcam Alpha 9 plugged into the 3.5mm headphone...
33
33

sourcing engineering plastics
I need some 50mm diameter engineering grade plastic rod - which I could get machined to my needs. Came across: Performance Plastics contacted them.. as I only wanted 100mm long he was happy to cut a...
1
1

OT: London powercut.
Round here we get one of these every year or so. Generally a tree across a line. It doesnt even make the local papers. But if it happens in the West End on a Friday Night!!!!! coverage across the...
18
18

OT: Question on diesel engines
What happens when you rev up a modern diesel engine (IOW blip the throttle pedal). What is exactly is causing the RPM to increase? Are you effectively just opening the injectors for longer to admit...
15
15