Subject Author Posted Replies

Pipe soldering Questions
I'm not going to do these myself, it's for people learning how to. What size pipe can a standard blowtorch do? What size can a mini torch do? What do you do with joints that fail to seal first time?...
56
56

Heating oil (kerosene) lubrication
Talking to a guy who repairs oil fired domestic boilers, and he was saying that the formulation of domestic heating oil has changed (less sulphur?), which means less lubrication of moving parts. He...
12
12

Electric wiring question
I am trying to move a 3 gang (all 1 way) switch from one side of a door to the other. I want to use 2 x 1.5mm T&E cables, which is all I have at hand, in this way: Cable 1: Brown - common Live Blue -...
13
13

Spare blades for Parkside multi tool
Anyone know what other brands of blades will fit the Parkside multitool. Or where I can get blades for the Parkside, I dont want to buy a pack of different blades but just one specific one.
10
10

OT: Engine Firing Order etc.
Given a four cylinder car engine, one assumes there will be four equally- spaced ignitions every 90' of crankshaft rotation. Does the same apply for *all* engines in terms of the number of their...
51
51

For Nick and the other climate nuts.
When they do this sort of thing how can you believe what they say? An 'inconvenient result' – July 2012 not a record breaker according to data from the new NOAA/NCDC U.S. Climate Reference Network |...
7
7

OT Pat Condell. Well on form!
Best yet? This video is unavailable in several European countries. It has been censored for criticising people who are in Europe illegally, and who commit disgusting crimes while here. The clue is the...

BBC TV: The Big Life Fix with Simon Reeve
The team of inventors are challenged to come up with solutions for three ve ry different problems. They attempt to help a terminally ill photographer who can no longer use hi s hands to operate a...
2
2

Magnets
I saw a poster describing a new magnet concept - Imagine a pot shaped magnet - but with the poles arranged in segments. It would attract to another - but a twist would cause it to repell. I Did some...

Euro or Oval Lock Cylinders
I realise they are not readily interchangable, but does one have any advantage over the other?

Intermittent kettling on Volkera compact bioler - fix?
Our flat has a Volkera Compact 25 HE boiler which is kettling occasionally (I don't know quite how oocasionally yet). It was installed five years or so ago and has been serviced (and passed its gas...
3
3

(OT Comment) Cars
On simple change that must have had a big impact on the rust-free life of a car must be plastic inner wing liners. When you see what they are it really makes you wonder why it took so long for them to...
19
19

Stopping a PC connecting to the Internet
I have a PC running Windows 7 driving my plasma cutter table. At the moment it is 'stand alone' ie NOT on my local network as I don't want external interference from the likes of Microsoft poking up...
28
28

DIY - soil improvement project
I have very bad ground .... it was a selfbuild site that was land built up by over 20' back in 30's to become a railway sidings .... what they built it up with is steel works slag & subsoil from...
39
39

No-salt water softener
Has anyone here used one of these no-salt water softeners? short version: "Almost all the benefits of fully softened water" is the claim, and at a much lower price. Many thanks.
4
4