Subject Author Posted Replies

OT: microwave cooking time URGENT
If I double the amount of food in a microwave, logic tells me that I should double the cooking time. But is logic correct or should I only increase the time by 50% or whatever. I need to know by...
9
9

Laptop PSU extender query
On UK trains there is a 240VAC socket to hand in 1st class, but on NL/D trains there is none so my Acer Aspire S7's battery goes flat after 3 hours. Is there a battery power pack to 240VAC solution...
4
4

Anyone recommend a random orbital sander?
Lent out my Lidl cheapie to a big refurb project and it burned out. I only need one for relatively light duty, anyone got recommendations? I see Wickes has a small Makita for about £90 but havn't yet...
1
1

Double sheathed single cable on lighting.
Will this need to be replaced if I do substantial work on a house? I was hoping to leave the wiring alone and just get a new Box and get the kitchen rewired now a wall is out.
3
3

LED outdoor strip
I have a dimmable electronic transformer . 240V in, 11.4v out, 5A Can I use this for an LED outdoor strip that requires 12 V. 5A
14
14

Storage heater insulation panels
Got a second hand storage heater from a friend Had to remove the firebricks to transport it, as it weighs a bloody ton. Anyway, there are insulation panels front and back that go between the fire...
23
23

Blinds for double Glazed Windows.
I have Anglian double glazed windows which have were fitted about twelve years ago as I understand it. I have been considering getting blinds for some of them and recently read an "intu" brochure...
6
6

Planning permission - hard landscaping?
Longer term plan - not sure if it's likely to need PP? It's hard to ask our council - you can't just pop over to see a bloke, unlike the building inspector and they charge to even answer a letter...
31
31

Insulation - effects on my gaff
I did a bit of an empirical measurement on Saturday which is quite interesting... Brick bungalow, no underfloor insulation generally, 2" cavity brick walls with blown fibre. I have added 100mm celotex...
10
10

Cable for AEG induction hob - closest option to 6mm at 90*?
I've trawled the Net for opinions on this, and the specified 6mm cable at 90* doesn't seem to exist in general supply. The manual refers to H05V2V2-FT General opinion is don't fit common twin and...
8
8

OT - another car buying question
As far as I know most things have a list price and a final price. Some build in, say, 5% or 10% on the price as negotiating room. Any rule of thumb for used vehicles in the £10-15k range? I realised...
46
46

Electrical Puzzle
Replaced a ceiling light for my parents on Saturday - take down pendant, pu t up fancy new new three-bulb fixture, simple T&E, no spurs, loops or whate ver. Everything working AOK. Mum phones...
12
12

OT - mechanical warranties on cars
Just pondering - how does the warranty company confirm up front the car isn't a dog? Or do they just play the numbers with a limit on what you can claim? Cheers Dave R
5
5

Wiring in plaster
I wish to make a channel in plaster and put in some wiring for a new light. Please could someone point me to requirements re conduit/covering.
24
24

OT: things that scared Bella the dog today
1. The sound the mains testing plug makes when the socket is OK 2. Me conducting the Band of the Grenadier Guards 3. The Greenwich Time Signal 4. The black chicken 5. A phone ringing on Emmerdale Bill
12
12