Subject Author Posted Replies

Simple plumbing fitting question
I have a Myson fan assisted radiator with 3/4" female brass connections to the heat exchanger. Would it be better to use 3/4" taper fittings with PTFE or Loctite stuff or 3/4" parallel ones with a...
13
13

That's slightly interesting
Years ago (20 or 30), I bought a mitre saw, I find it really quite good and reasonably accurate. This one: And yet it gets terrible reviews. Now, I've found a review that explains why: "I have to say...
4
4

Power Tools for the Home
(>> However, this one is well out of my budget. I was hoping anyone would be > able I've cross-posted this to the newsgroup uk.d-i-y, where you may get better advice. OTOH you might get something to...
13
13

Before I go mad ... (SD Cards)
Had some issues with an (old) SD Card. Not recognised on Windows 7 or Debian box. No problem. Ordered another (8GB class 10 via Amazon). Plugged into Win7 ... nada. Device shows as device (with no...
18
18

Unplugging network leads
I came across this dire warning in a manual for a Dell PC: "CAUTION: To disconnect a network cable, first unplug the cable from your computer and then unplug the cable from the network device" Well...
14
14

Mounting an electric vertical radiator horizontially
Hello, we have a loft conversions with no central heating, we are limited to ceiling height on the walls due to the low eaves so I am looking at the possibility of mounting a designer electrical...
8
8

hotpoint wf 860 pr
No. Hotpoint or a micrometer can. It's because it's cheaper from someone other than Hotpoint. ask Hotpoint If the old one isn't upto reuse yes. There's no way to know until you've disassembled. Next...
7
7

Sort of on topic: Future
In the future all factories will only employ one man and one dog. The man's task will be to feed and walk the dog. The dog is there to bite the man if he touchs anything.
31
31

Brush marks in gloss
Yup - in the hands of skilled experts. Usually vehicles that have been brush painted with alkyd gloss look pretty rough. NT
24
24

Solenoid bolt for lock
I have an up-and-over garage door. It has occurred to me that I can probably add an electrically operated solenoid bolt - protruding into the track of the door as an extra level of security. When the...
5
5

Suspect expansion vessel "problem" with Worcester Bosch Greenstar
Noticed the other day that pressure was at zero on the boiler. Hadn't checked for ages, so just assumed we'd lost a little through one small leak which we'd kept an eye on over the years on an old...
14
14

Karcher HDS 601C
Hi Any Karcher experts here? I have a Karcher HDS 601c which has a chemistry issue? I purchased a new chemistry value because the flow of detergent was not stopping and to be honest the value was very...
1
1

The Ebay cooker hood
We bought a cooker hood via Ebay for £60 guaranteed 5 years parts, 2years labour. Yesterday it failed at a bit under 3 years, so this morning I tried to chase up the seller. The seller referred me to...
30
30

Gas boiler
Happy New Year etc. Brexit, Daesh, Trump etc, blah blah, but more importantly my boiler is having issues. No hot water this morning and it was evident that the boiler (a 30 year old Potterton) was...
62
62

Thoughts on Extended Warranty
We have a Hotpoint Dryer, six years old, and which was 'Fixed' under the free Prevention of Fires plan, some months ago. It works fine, but is now in what I would call the 'risky' part of its life...
13
13