Subject Author Posted Replies

A suggestion for sleep
If we stopped the earth's rotation, we could live in the light for as long as we wanted, then travel over to the dark side for sleep. Do we have to turn round?!
10
10

LED tubes
Now that I am on a roll with LED lighting, I am wondering about replacing fluorescent with T8 LED tubes. I see these are on sale, though quite expensive. My question is whether it is necessary to...
22
22

Old Christmas Tree lights
I've been asked to look at some old Christmas tree lights. I am confident this will be the of the direct mains type with single insulated twisted pair and probably conforming to BS 4647:1970. I am...
20
20

My old mucker gets a fine for hitting cyclist
So after a gap weekend since leaving school on the Friday, I started work o n Monday, 1 DEC 1975 as a laboratory technician for Croda Premier Oils, Sto neferry where I analysed castor and rape seeds...

Megaflow / water hammer
Could it actually be bearing noise or vibration from the pump itself that is just "ringing" the coil in the cylinder?
24
24

CE approval
CE Marking is not approval. It's a self-declaration by a manufacturer or importer of compliance with all relevant EU directives, established by testing to harmonised standards, or otherwise. In...
20
20

Lever arch files: Stopping them from 'deforming' at open end
Lever Arch Box File? http://www.staples.co.uk/80mm-foolscap-lever-arch-box-file-purple/cbs/297716244.html
49
49

What does R&R stand for?
I've been sent a schedule of works for sorting out a laminate flooring after a leak. It contains a few line that refer to R&R. What on earth does this stand for, eg 4. R&R 12.5mm - Plasterboard 6. R&R...
7
7

Wireless intercom
Can anyone recommend a wireless intercom to speak to visitors after they have rung the doorbell? Sometimes I may be sleeping at the other end of the house and don't want to miss a delivery. I don't...

Nextbase 312gw Incarcam
Anyone got one? Just got one for Christmas. Unsure about Parking Mode : I think from manual that it should be switched off whilst driving: only switched on when you want to leave camera in car and to...
3
3

Ground Penetrating Radar
Good morning. I'm looking for some disconnected clay/plastic pipe-work under an internal concrete base and/or externally paved patio and I see that Ground Penetrating Radar (GPR) units are available...
18
18

This car fault blew my mind in 2015
No amount of logic could solve this which happened to me 300 miles from Rot terdam - Nuremburg in 2015. Limped to hotel after breaking down 3 times whe n engine got too hot until it started when I let...
13
13

Led lighting
I was about to buy some strip lights for work, 2x 4 foot flourescent tubes, (36x2 watts). I'll be buying 5. Looking at the projected yearly savings it will take about 4 years to break even given the...
26
26

USB remote HDD turn off/on
I have my BB modem/router mounted in the loft, to which I have no quick easy access. On those rare occaisions I do desire to turn it off, I have a remote control wireless 13A switch. The router has a...
5
5

Cars have definitely changed
For the first one, yes. Spread that cost over perhaps the million made and it's not so much. Dunno when that was. I fitted a MegaSquirt to the old Rover - that's an aftermarket programmable ECU. It...
104
104