Subject Author Posted Replies

SALVAGE HUNTERS
Salvaged this mantlepiece from the garage. A bit of French polish and four screws later, it looks like this. http://swldxer.co.uk/salvagehunters.jpg
3

Charging dictation machine from USB mains charger
I have a dictation machine which charges an internal AA NiMH cell by being plugged into a PC's USB port. If I charged from a 2 Amp USB mains charger, would I damage the recorder or battery? This is...
97
97

HomeBase LED inspection lamp
HomeBase have a floor standing LED light strip inspection light on offer at the moment (can't find it on the web site). Stands about a metre tall and looks quite useful for a work light and also...
1
1

Smart meters = yet more big brother
Ovo energy just sent me a email saying the Government want EVERY home in the uk to have a smartmeter by 2020. The gov can go to hell as far as i;'m concerned. The real reason is of course that they...
54
54

multi tool blades
ISTR a supplier of Fein type multitool blades, at reasonable prices, being mentioned on here one time. Anyone know them ?
16
16

OT Some climate change stuff
A couple of items for those interested: First, a critique by Prof. Judith Curry of the models used to predict climate temperatures and trends. For those who haven't heard of her, see Second, an...
32
32

Latest on Solar PV power.
Official figures project solar will be less expensive than gas in the next few years, but a massive new tax hike could put that at risk
33
33

Structural surveys of listed and timber-framed buildings
I'm buying a listed house that is part 17thC timber frame and part 20thC imitation timber frame. Previous experiences with surveyors reports have been that they tend to "state the bleedin' obvious"...
25
25

VOIP System: Often when I call out and called party picks up, I get busy signal.
I have VOIP through Axvoice. I have had this with two desk phones. I contacted desk phone manufacturer, and they deny any issue. They say that the VOIP provider would have a certain setting. I didn't...
25
25

IP (and other cams) diplay and recording
A while ago, someone was asking about recording the output of IP cams. The first time I tried the following, it wasn't very good and rather over complicated to set up so I deleted it. It is now much...
1
1

Limescale tablets in washing machines
I live in a hard water area and recently saw some own brand "W5 Limescale tablets" for washing machinesat my local Lidl. I bought them thinking they must be useful because Lidl tends to sell...
52
52

OT: Orange email is closing
Freeserve/Wanadoo/Orange/EE is closing on 31 May 2017 I've had my accounts since 1999 when I signed up for Freeserve dial-up. The great thing that is unmatched by other free accounts is that you can...
18
18

Todays top tip
Don't buy a FIAT I think I have mentioned this tip before. I got the AA twice today for two different vans.
105
105

Antique clock repairs
Hi all I have a late 18th century 30 hour long case clock in need of some TLC which might include making replacements for parts of the frame if the holes are too elongated to accurately bush. The worn...
17
17

OT: Stupid brains and spatial awareness
Why is it our brains can't handle the concept that our heads extend a long way above our eyes, and end up bashing our heads on some low beam or other? A similar thing happens when wearing shoes, we...
37
37