Subject Author Posted Replies

Rambling thought
Whilst we mainly appreciate techie things, there is a system invention that I think is very clever! The humble SIM Card. Functionally unchanged since introduction Truely International In fact the...
25
25

OT: This week's auction
"Lot No: 1331 A Sony hi-fi sound system with speakers and a fish tank filter Estimate £20.00 - £30.00" A fish tank filter? Did it improve the sound from the speakers?
4
4

Cheap chinese smartphones
There's a Blackview in the family, a waterproof shockproof outdoor one. I think it's a 5000... Pro: Battery life is excellent, several days if cautious, more than one if doing all the smartphone...
28
28

5G IN HULL
http://swldxer.co.uk/5ghull.jpg

Wash hand basin tip
In message , Mr Pounder Esquire writes My first thought was thin dowel with a dollop of blu-tak on the end, but your idea sounds even better. Result.
7
7

Well On topic. DIY wind turbine.
Build a Wind Turbine – Transition Malvern Hills
22
22

OT: Feeling cold
as opposed too, those that know you're nuts ;-) - why do people not like being cold? Not everyone feels that way although you have to define cold . I prefer to be cold than hot as it's usually easier...
78
78

greenstar 24i junior boiler
Just had a short outage of electricity supply, and my boiler will not come on. The green eco light for the hot water is flashing and the fan keeps starting up then stopping and the clock has...
2
2

Ferrules for Stainless wire.
I am connecting 1mm stainless wire to stainless screw hooks/loops in the garden. I want to make small loops in the wire. I am getting some copper ferrules to do the job. I have a crimping tool for...
7
7

Rewiring - cost estimate
Now I know before I ask this question that the answer is "it depends", but I am hoping that someone could give me at least a vague idea about numbers before we get someone in for a formal quote A...
44
44

Anyone using Hive?
I want to change and resite our present programmable thermostat with a wire less type. The one I have been considering is not all that much cheaper tha n the self install version of Hive. I was...
68
68

Burglar alarm problem
Our alarm has taken to sounding with a 'Panic' notification from time-to-time despite there being no panic button installed. It has also alarmed with both zones indicated without any apparent reason:...
28
28

OT : Record 2016 for EDF nuclear plant in UK
"Output from its nuclear power plants in the UK was at the record level of 65.1 TWh, up 4.5 TWh, on the "excellent operational performance" of the units. "Nuclear generation in 2016 benefitted from...

OT: Interview with Judith Curry
Former Georgia Tech professor tells Tucker why she has developed a 'growing disenchantment with universities, the academic field of climate science and scientists' #Tucker
5
5

OT: Vehicle emissions and costs
As the proud owner of 2 vehicles with annoying faults, I would like to be ready to try to make a judgement about possible replacement(s). Is there any source of sensible ball park figures for the...
21
21