Subject Author Posted Replies

Any rules about providing a staircase to loft storage space?
I'm thinking of replacing a pull-down loft ladder with a proper staircase and door. The loft would still only be used for storage, but someone thought the presence of a staircase invoked a pile of...
15
15

OTish Rotary (Wankel) engine.
Interesting. 4 Reasons Why The Rotary Engine Is Dead. The Wankel engine was last seen in a production car in the Mazda RX-8, and currently there are no rotary engines in production. Mazda may bring it...
1
1

Conflicting advice on transformers for 5W MR16 LED bulbs
Currently I have lots of 50W MR16 halogen downlighters, but since the latest exorbitant lecky price rise announcement I plan to replace these with LED equivalents. Each halogen bulb at present is...
37
37

He must have been doing it himself
Doctors report rare case of ?penile strangulation? but did they really need to use an angle grinter ? Doctors in the Republic of Ireland faced an unusual medical dilemma after a metal ring became...
25
25

fast drying fiiller to take screws
Occasionally I need to fill 7mm diameter x 10mm deep hles in chioboard panels. Ideally I would like to use a fast curing filler that would be able to take a screw. Any suggestions ?
31
31

Artificial wood
I have just repaired a vandalised, large, free-standing, notice board outside a church, and found it was made from 'artificial wood'. It is great to work with and of course it does not rot or need...
6
6

[OT] Best orientation of thermometer sender ?
What is the best orientation of a wireless thermometer's sensor to get the maximum range? The sensor contains an aerial coil at the top of this photo: Is the greatest range when the recievering unit...
54
54

OT: Ceramics Q
We've had a ceramic baking dish for ages ... about 2-3L capacity. Square. Last couple of times it's been used (pasta bake) both SWMBO and I have imagined we caught the faintest waft of...
5
5

Wallpaper removed - preparation of wall prior to painting
Afternoon all, Wallpapered wall, with wallpaper (in process of being) removed. Thankfully the plaster underneath it is pretty much pristine, aside form a few screw holes which will be filled. It looks...
15
15

Plaster drying time
Just had some plastering done in the corner of a room. Is it necessary to allow the plaster to dry naturally or is it alright to put a dehumidifier in there to accelerate the drying process?
3
3

Puller suitable for Suffolk Punch flywheel?
Does the puller shown on the right in this Screwfix product look like it's suitable to remove the flywheel on an old Suffolk Punch 35S lawnmower engine? MM Order online at Screwfix.com. Effective tool...
6
6

Flexible adhesive plastic trim (2023 Update)
My new integrated fridge-freezer came with a length of flexible soft white plastic trim: right-angled, with one leg wider the other and an adhesive strip down the wider part. It was to cover any gap...
9
9

Grub screw question
I need a replacement grub screw for a door handle (okay - I don't need one but I'm a perfectionist). I see I can get a pack containing M3, M4, M5 and M6 very cheaply. Can I assume one of these sizes...
8
8

ping: Adam
your email is bouncing, even with the XXX removed. 550 5.1.1 recipient rejected (unknown mailbox)
4
4

1/2" BSP isn't half an inch?!
I just bought a self bleeding valve to fit into a half inch thread. What arrived was 3/4". It's sold as 1/2" BSP, and according to this page, 1/2" BSP is meant to be 3/4". WTF?
54
54