Re: I think I'm losing one - advice please

On the assumption that the potting medium is consistent between the plants,

> meaning that the same watering regimen is good for all, and it's been 6 > months since repotting, I would think it's safe to rule out root issues. > > I'd speculate that you're seeing a bacterial or fungal infection that > originated from water standing in the leaf axils - the little "cups" they > make where they attach to the plant. > > You're probably going to lose those leaves altogether, but if kept dry, > especially at night, I would not anticipate further issues. > > -- > > Ray Barkalow - First Rays Orchids -www.firstrays.com > Plants, Supplies. Books, Artwork, and lots of Free Info! > > >I have seven phals. All in the same place and all doing extremely > > well, except for one. > > > This one is losing two large leaves. The are not the oldest leaves, > > which is what concerns me most. It has seven leaves. Four are very > > large (one is almost all yellow and another is starting to turn > > yellow). The remaining three leaves are smaller and at least one is > > relatively new. > > > This plant has already bloomed twice. Last time it was growing a > > flower spike I repotted it with all new bark and moss in a slightly > > larger pot. That was about 6 months ago. It bloomed beautifully and > > did very well. > > > All the other phals are doing great. One is going to bloom for the > > third time and two others are in full bloom now. > > > Is there anything I can do to save this plant? > > > Thanks

Thanks for the reply Ray. It was a reasonable guess, but actually I'm always very careful not to get the leaves wet.

Reply to
JaneB

OK. Any ideas how? As I said my other six phals are in great shape. Should I isolate the one with the green leaves? The problem with doing that is there is no other place in the house where these plants will grow so moving it ensures it's demise.

Reply to
JaneB

Move it anyway. Nothing bad will happen from a bad location in the short run. I'm thinking a month or 2 at the most. I'm remembering loosing a vanda type orchid. It had some leaves turn yellow about half way between the bottom of the plant. Only a couple of leaves and, at first, I wasn't concerned. Soon, more leaves were yellowing and I tried to save it. It pretty much fell apart from some disease killing it from the inside out. The yellow leaves on your plant will fall off or you will remove them. If nothing else bad happens, move it back to the good location. If it continues to loose leaves, I would un pot it (even though it is freshly potted) and remove every bit of dead roots and ay other dead plant parts. If it has an internal rot of some kind, it might fall apart before you get around to this.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I moved the plant.

Pictures of the leaves are here:

I couldn't quite get a good photo with both bad leaves in the same shot. After taking the pics I removed the leaf in the first photo. The second will probably come of tomorrow or the next day.

I appreciate the help.

Reply to
JaneB

I examined the roots. They are pale but very firm. Much like the lower roots always look when I repot.

So - now what??

Reply to
JaneB