Your Most Useful Tool?

I am a general contractor, hiring subcontractors to do the work for me. So I don't own that many tools. However, my most useful tool has to be my digital voice recorder.

I feel like (and look like) a nerd dictating my notes into this thing ("Note to self..."); however, walking through the jobsite, I'll see dozens of items that need attention. I'll dictate 20-30 entries, then transcribe them the next day. I couldn't live without my digital voice recorder.

What's your most useful tool?

John Churchill Builder and Cont. Ed. Instructor at Emory University Author of

Churchill

Cordless impact driver followed closely by a 5" angle grinder. So many things are screwed together or bolted together, the impact driver will run sockets in and out with a socket adapter or regular square drive and Philips screw heads. Plenty of torque in a 14.4 volt or higher model. Like a baby impact wrench it is. The angle grinder is so nice for removing nail/screw points that over-penetrated as well as excess bolt threads. Got a lock or chain that won't open? Burn a link open and you're in.

Reply to
IBM5081

My thumb.

Reply to
BP

Tape measure. I use it for electrical, plumbing and carpentry projects. I use it for planning, design and for actual construction. I can substitute a rock for a hammer and a butter knife for a screwdriver but if I substitute a cubit (my forearm) for a yard, everything comes out all crooked. How did Noah do it?

Reply to
PipeDown

Define tool. So either a notebook computer or a cordless drill (or utility knife, pencil is up there, too).

Favorite tool would elicit more interesting answers than useful tool.

RicodJour

The one between my legs !!!!

Reply to
####

I am an electronic technician and a computer repairer. My most useful tool is my sense of logic followed closely by a 7-level screwdriver (also known as a tweaker).

Reply to
badgolferman

I'd rather not say, but: I never bring it out in public or leave home without it.

Reply to
Jimmy

A milk churn?

Reply to
Jimmy

butter churn

Reply to
Jimmy

It's probably a toss up between a phone & vehicle. Although my glasses could be considered a tool. I wonder if clothing articles are considered tools. Hmmmmmmm, maybe my toothbrush & razor.

Good question.

Reply to
Moisés Nacio

medium-sized crowbar, but i deal with old houses.

Reply to
roger61611

Useful, but the index finger is better for picking your nose and smoothing caulk.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A pencil A tape measure A razor knife A clean rag and last but not least My helper, he is a real tool sometimes :)

Reply to
Ed B

My new favorite tool and quikly becoming my most useful tool is my distance laser meter. My Disto Plus has an accuracy of + - 1/16th of an inch and a range of 650 ft. As an appraiser doing exterior and interior measuring I don't know how I lived without before. It saves me a ton of time.

Check out

for specs on what these things can do.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Kliewer

Hi, My most useful tool is my brain and hands. Whatever you have, if you don't know how to use it right.... Hey voice recorder? How about PDA in your pocket?

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Oh you can dig much deeper into your nose with your finger, but there is nothing like the thumb for maximum collection. BSF: Workers who lose a thumb are severely disabled. You can compensate for the loss of a finger, but not a thumb.

Reply to
BP

B&D Firestorm Cordless Hammer Drill 24V.

Reply to
dnoyeB

computer/ internet.

Reply to
Chub

Filters.

So I don't have to read all the crap posted here that doesn't have to do with home repair, or even the topic.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B