Your Experience With Residential Energy Controllers

In August 2008, the guy who sold me a home generator talked us into getting an energy controller. He claimed that it has cut his kwh by

25%. Here's what the manufacturer says: 8-10% realized in monthly savings; investment return (36 months or less); reduced energy demand; decreased heat dissipation (extends life of appliances); amperage surge protection for all your home equipment.

$600 installed.

Comparing Oct. 2008 with October 2007:

3% *more* kwh were used in 10/08 even though the counting period was two days less. The only lifestyle change in 2008 was upgrade from dial-up to DSL modem. The outside temperature was one degree Farenheit colder in 10/08 when compared with 10/07.

As you can see, not a good experience. Would like to read your experiences.

Reply to
Jack

I thought you asked months ago if they worked and everyone here said No.

Reply to
ransley

I did ask but don't recall any responses. Guess that either my PC or my brain has developed a glitch. Sorry.

Reply to
Jack

an energy controller can save you money only if your electric company has a peak demand rate structure. Then you use the controller to spread out your usage so for example you don't use 22 kWhr all in one hour. Or if you have a day night differential rate ypou run your water heater and other loads at night. If you have a standard electric rate, an energy controller will do no good. Talk to your electric company about the special rates they may have for residential service with day night differential or peak load or demand load metering.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Hi, Now you learned, you are 600.00 poorer. Consider it as a fee for valuable lesson, LOL!

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Find the old post, to bad HD used to sell that junk that doesnt help

Reply to
ransley

Are you in the UK, where in some areas, as I understand, they have cheaper electricity rates late at night when the load on the system diminishes. In that case it might make sense to wash and dry your clothes at 2.00 AM etc.

However in most places including here (Eastern Canada) I gather the cost of residential electrcity, per kilowatt hour, is the same no matter when one uses it.

So apart from a monthly fee for our account with our electric utility and sales tax on the total monthly bill to the government, our cost for energy used is the same for each unit. There is no magic that can reduce the amount of electricity used; except switching things off, or otherwise reducing consumption. Rather like driving less to save gasoline!

Reply to
terry