Wired/Wireless

If the OP can sneak it past the interior decorator / wife Wiremold is fairly presentable and keeps the wires where they belong -- out in the open where they are accessible.

Reply to
rbowman

Hi Terry,

Wired is always far more reliable than wireless. That is, if you are good at connecting the plastic cubes on the ends of the cables, which is an art form.

I prefer wired whenever possible.

To secure wireless, make sure you are using "WPA2" on as you wireless security And a password of at least 12 characters.

To get your shop on wireless, a technique I use on shopping mall sized houses to run a wire from the router to the opposite side of the house and install an Access Point. Make sure you install only an access point, not a router combo unit configured as an access point. One power hit and all hell breaks lose when the second routers turn back into a full router.

For access points, a home priced one would be: TRENDnet TEW-638APB Wireless N Access Point

Check out their web site as models are always changing.

For an industrial access point, check out Watch Guard:

They are quite a bit more expensive than the home versions though.

-T

Oh ya, and stay away from "wireless repeaters". They are s***.

I've got so much to think about now ... my thanks to all who responded . I think I'll be staying with the way I'm doing it now , but will run cable under the house instead of stringing it up on the interior walls to those locations that will benefit - shop will have to be run under ground in conduit or smurf tube - and wireless for the rest . Unfortunately the Roku's don't have a wired option so they'll have to remain on wifi . Again , my thanks to all for the help .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

The Carlon guys say pushing is just as effective as long as you are strapped well in the turns so it does not belly on you. I agree pulling always works. The other thing most people do not know is smurf comes in a variety of colors and sizes up to 2". It is just not going to be stocked in many places. I also found out the orange stuff at HD/Lowes is not the same quality as the type ENT that is typically blue even though it may actually cost more. After I went through my first roll I stopped using it and went with the blue, just reidentifying it with orange tape to keep it separated from the line voltage raceways.

Reply to
gfretwell

The biggest problem with that is trying to do it with a cheap crimper. You can buy a whole lot of factory cords for the price of a real crimper (that may approach $100)

Reply to
gfretwell

All good information, thanks.

Reply to
Stormin' Norman

Terry Coombs posted for all of us...

I have not read all the posts so you decide. If you intend to alarm the house you could use it for that...

Reply to
Tekkie®

+1
Reply to
Tekkie®

My alarm system has 4 legs and will weigh around 85 lbs when he's fully grown ... seriously , down here in The Holler there are only half a dozen houses , and we all watch out for each other . 'Most everybody is well armed , and a stranger is checked out - "Hey Bubba , was that blue truck headed for your house ?" "Nah , he pulled in to Tim's driveway , it's his brother-no-good-in-law ."

I'll be pulling 2 runs each to the dining room , bedroom , and a couple of places in the living room . Picking up my son's crimper when we deliver the g-kids back to Memphis tomorrow along with a handful of connectors (and payment for the 3 qts of honey I delivered last week) .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs