Wing mirrors on cars

I use the same approach for rigs with Mexican tags. I'll take my chances explaining to a cop why he clocked my at 120 rather than hang around Jose too long.

Reply to
rbowman

I lived near the tracks in an area that was used as a switch yard. One night I woke up to some shaking and some dim mechanism in my half asleep mind told me there wasn't supposed to be a train. The next day I found out there had been an earthquake.

There was also a firehouse with a siren. I managed to sleep through the whole kerfuffle when the hotel down the street burned to the ground.

If I'm awake in the middle of the night I'll hear the trains blowing but like yours the closest is about 10km.

Reply to
rbowman

The Smarty uses a "rubber band" CVT trans, doesn;t it? Like driving a blasted snowmobile

Reply to
Clare Snyder

The theory is they continually record speed and other data but write over the data at some interval, say 2 minutes. After a triggering event, like you just ran into a bridge abutment, it has a 2 minute snapshot of what you were doing.

Reply to
rbowman

When my elderly mother went looking for a new car I had to convince her she could drive an automatic. She'd only been driving since 1920 or so. I learned on manuals and prefer them although the current Toyota is an AT. At the time Japan was having a minor nuclear disaster and I decided ordering a manual was shaky.

Conversely many Americans cannot drive a manual. My fiance learned one evening when the choice was either to drive a manual or wait for me to get sober enough to decide which of the two underpasses was the real one. She only made it to second but got us home. After that we had a more formal training session if she was going to be the designated driver.

Reply to
rbowman

Once I'm asleep I tend to sleep very soundly. Apparently when I was little my mum used to hoover my bedroom when I was asleep because it was the only time I wasn't cluttering up the carpet with toys.

I slept right through The Great Gale of 1987 when very fierce winds swept across south-east England knocking down many trees (including six of the seven oak trees that allegedly gave their name to Sevenoaks) and causing widespread damage to buildings. I woke that morning and set off to work, only to find trees across the road I normally used and several of the diversions I tried, and some roads strewn with roof tiles. Only when I got to work and heard everyone's "war stories" of their journeys to work did I realise how serious and widespread the damage had been. And I slept right through it all! One interesting phenomenon that I saw with that gale was the way it had snapped off a lot of pine trees in a forest which started a few hundred metres from my house, breaking them just above root level but leaving each one standing vertically with its trunk offset from its roots and held up by all the other densely-planted trees around it.

Reply to
NY
[9 lines snipped]

The word british (properly spelled "British", since it is a proper noun) is not required. And IME, most Americans can't drive "stick" anyway.

[15 lines snipped]

I've had two cars with DSG and TBH it's not that different to a slushbox.

And indeed, an electric motor generates maximum torque when stalled, which is one of the reasons Teslas can accelerate so quickly.

Reply to
Huge

In the Yoo Kay, if you pass your driving test in an automatic, you cannot drive a manual car other than as a learner (that is, under the supervision of someone with a full license.)

Reply to
Huge

Oh dear.

When the blind lead the blind, they both shall drive into the ditch...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

With the added provision that the qualified driver is not 'supervising whilst intoxicated'.

It's the normal practice in the UK for learner drivers to learn to drive in a 'manual' ("stick shift") car *and* to take the test in a manual car, even if they intend only to own/drive automatic transmission cars thereafter, since this qualifies them to drive both types with no further testing required to upgrade their driving license to a full driving licence should they later change their mind.

Reply to
Johnny B Good

Oddly though it doesn't apply to trucks. I passed my class 2 HGV (class C) in a manual, but I did the class 1 (C+E) in an auto but I can still drive a class 1 HGV with a manual box. Probably the same for buses. Given a choice I'd take the auto any day, range shifting boxes are hideous devices.

NB: Please don't set the follow-up just to one group in a crosspost.

Reply to
boltar

Wow, is it a Lada or something? A 2011 car with manual mirrors?!? Do you have to reach out and wipe the windscreen with a cloth when it rains too?

So there are a few sensible places left in the world. The UK is a nanny state.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I'm using Pan and it popped up the following message:

QUOTE/

There were problems with this post.

Warning: Crossposting without setting Followup-To header. Warning: The message is mostly quoted text.

ENDQUOTE/

Which, after hitting the GO BACK button, left me to click the "More Headers" tab and take my best guess as to what to do with it. Evidently, I made the wrong choice. Should I have just copied and pasted the whole list of news groups (uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair), or does hitting the CONTINUE ANYWAY button do that for me?

PS I'm about to find out since that message box has popped up again and I'm going to choose the second option *this* time round. :-)

Reply to
Johnny B Good

You need a new newsreader. It shouldn't require any follow up groups to be set, it should just use the ones in the "Newsgroups:" field. Probably written by someone who never bothered to read the RFCs.

Reply to
boltar

Yes, he did write nothing. Do you know what the word nothing means?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Why would anyone want to add such a stupid rule to disallow BETTER mirrors?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I can see a little of the edge of the car aswell, for context like you said. I've never known anyone say there was a set way to adjust mirrors, it's personal preference isn't it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

You get sued for being a shit driver. What has the mirror to do with it?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

I saw it on a 1995 GM in the UK. Astra I think, wasn't mine.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Rubbish. It's a warning. Pan does that because (unlike most newsreaders) it adheres fully to the GNKSA specification.

Bob Eager