Wing mirrors on cars

So he didn't write nothing,

Reply to
Max Demian

It's a statement of the bleeding obvious and therefore doesn't need stating. Look in a convex mirror for two seconds and apply brain.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Why would you need to? I know how big my car is, and I can see the inside of it. The outside tends to be in the same place (plus the width of the panels).

So they're catering for fuckwits. Typical health and softy legislation. FFS let the dumbasses die off.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

ROFL, I once reversed straight into a Ford Ka because they're pathetically small. It was actually below my rear window. When he said "You reversed into me!" I said "I didn't see you down there, buy a real car".

Surely you know the width of the pavement/sidewalk and can see the other side of it. Oh my god how useless are drivers nowadays?

Please retake your test, you're a danger to other road users.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Yes, as I said I get a better view. And you're replying to the wrong person, please learn how to operate your newsreader correctly.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Vans have bigger mirrors.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

But you might aswell in a car.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When I was driving a truck it had cruise control, which I would set at

  1. Then on the interstate someone on a Gold Wing, which also has cruise control, would apparently have theirs set at 65.02. I ride bikes, so I know both worlds. A truck as 18 tires, all inflated to about 100 psi that sometimes blow out or peel the tread. It may also have coolers, tools, tarps,and other junk bungeed on here and there which may fall off. When I'm on a bike the last thing I want to do is spend a lot of time hanging around next to a truck but the Gold Wing pilots never seemed to mind.
Reply to
rbowman

They don't make horns that loud. When I had to drive through Los Angeles I always put suitable music like Slayer or Megadeath on the deck and cranked it up to 11.

Reply to
rbowman

After a few months you don't even notice any more. I grew up with the train tracks just behind, within hearing distance of at least 5 crossings, and where I l;ive now, on calm days I can hear the train blast for at least 3 crossings - the closest over 10km away

Reply to
Clare Snyder

I have a bad back that means twisting round is painful, so I use my mirrors.

Reply to
Tony Dragon

Depends on the van, if you drive a 'car derived van' (Corsa, Fiesta) then the mirrors are the same.

Reply to
Tony Dragon

It would work exactly the same, the camera can be as protected as the mirror.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

Is that going to log every single speeding offence everyone makes? That would be ridiculous.

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

In the UK automatic transmission hasn't taken off. No idea why, it's brilliant, and it would probably reduce a lot of accidents. Why make the driver change ger when they should be controlling the car?

Reply to
James Wilkinson Sword

When passing a truck (especially the Turkish or other south-eastern Europe ones) I always hang back until there is room for me to fire up the afterburners and get past it pronto. No sense in sitting next to a truck at 70mph.

Reply to
Tim Streater

Is it just the UK where automatic has never become as popular as in the States and Australia, or does the same apply to other European countries?

Automatics used to be thought of as much less fuel-efficient, and in Europe fuel is more expensive so every little mpg matters.

I find automatics rather unpredictable, though I've never driven one long enough to build up proper muscle-memory for controlling the speed and regulating the instant when each gearchange occurs using the throttle. I'm used to being able to use the clutch as well as the throttle to control crawling speed, and to have absolute control over whether I accelerate with light throttle and a lower gear or heavier throttle and a higher gear; when approaching and negotiating a roundabout it is a lot smoother to be able to stay in the same gear than to have to change down (and get an unexpected surge of power). I also find it disconcerting to have a fluid connection between engine and road speed, as cause by the torque converter.

I'd like to test-drive a VW DSG gearbox - the sort which has two manual gearboxes, one for 1, 3 and 5, and the other for 2, 4 and 6, with computer-controlled clutches which alter the engine speed to match the new gear and coordinate the engaging of the "even" gearbox and the disengaging of the "odd" gearbox to give a seamless gearchange.

Of course, eventually we will all be driving electric cars which are usually single-gear because an electric motor can develop torque right from being stationary up to some maximum speed.

Reply to
NY

I doubt it. And most of us will be dead before that happens if it does, anyway.

But you wont care with a self driving car.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Today's automatics will give better milage than all but the very best british drivers with a standard.

The new electronic transmissions are a LOT more predictable than the old hydraulics and shift so smoothly it's pretty much a non-issue anyway with 6 speed trans.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Today's automatics are very efficient, more efficient than most drivers shiftin on their own.

Evidently you've never driven a decently powered car with a good auto gear box. It would be smooth, even throttle response, no unexpected surge of power. When I was in Italy, one trip I had a Smart ForFour and it resembled some of what you mentioned. Nothing at all like a larger car is like.

Given the price of fuel, if I was on your side of the pond I'd probably not be driving my car either.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski