Window sill material

| > The real reason for avoiding it is that some of us prefer not to | > | have our kids used as laboratory rats. | >

| > thats the doctors job | > take your medicine. | >

| > todays PT is arsenic free | > would't you know that................ if you are so concerned | | | It doesn't really matter. Whatever is in it is designed to stop "life" that | would eat the wood. Do you know what's in it now? | |

Two new compounds will be, at least for the time being, the preservatives of choice for pressure-treating lumber. The most common is ACQ - Amine Copper Quat - which will still utilize copper as its primary ingredient. Gone will be the chromium and arsenic, which are being replaced by a solution of ammonia. Manufacturers state that ACQ-treated lumber will look very much the same as CCA-treated wood, with perhaps a slightly browner color.

The second, copper-azole, has been used in Europe and Japan for some time but is fairly new in the United States. As with ACQ, copper-azole compounds do not contain any chemicals that are listed with the EPA as carcinogens, and are in fact utilized by some growers for the treatment of fruit. Wood treated with copper-azole will have a slightly greenish tint that manufacturers say weathers to a brownish tone.

Reply to
3G

Which of these chemicals has been tested (the way drugs are tested) on humans, especially children?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Let's try a different angle here. Your kid's got an ear infection. He doesn't get them often. The doctor says "Any antibiotic would work. But, just for grins, let's try this new drug. It's barely been tested, and only on rats."

What do you say?

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I say go get your GED and come back later.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom