Wind turban attic fan repair/replacement

During a recent wind storm, the wind turban attic fan came apart, and the top part (circular turban part), blew off. I had a handyman to re- attach it, but it was bent slightly, and it now squeals when it turns. I am wondering if I purchase a new wind turban kit of the same size, can I take the upper turban part, and install it onto the existing lower stack part already in place on the roof. I'm sorry I don't have the exact technical terminolgy for this. I'm a grandmother, who isn't afraid to climb a roof, and/or tackle little home repair jobs.

Reply to
myrl_jeffcoat

That was almost certainly a turbine, not a turban...

Reply to
dpb

You're absolutely right!. . .I had been watching the movie, Aladdin, with one of the grandkid's last night, and it has affected my spelling;-)

Reply to
myrl_jeffcoat

Fact is, according to what I've seen/read on the subject, a passive (non-motored) turbine such as you seem to refer to, is useless. Serves mainly as a target. Or noise-maker.

You'd be better off with either a ridge vent, or a motored vent passing through the roof-deck, or a powered gable-vent. Which would be best for you would depend on your situation.

Since you already would seem to have a cutout in the roof deck, a powered vent like the second option above would seem, from here, to be the simplest. From the outside it looks like a big, flattened mushroom. You'd need 120v power nearby, and install with make-on-rise t-stat.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

You should be able to do so. The sizes are relatively standard and, if possible, get the same manufacturer.

Roof turbines are very effective.

Reply to
HeyBub

A post concerning replacing an attic fan was posted and to this I say:

You can get A powered attic fan that runs on it's own solar cell array also. The beauty of this is you don't need an electrician to run A circuit and any time the sun is shining the thing runs. Simple! Run the numbers to see if hiring an electrician or buying the solar fan is less. My guess it's close to A wash. H.R.

Reply to
harleyron

I should have mentioned that this attic fan is actually in a garage area. . .It has been near useless anyway. A motorized attic fan would likely run all the time, and suck up energy.

I just got back from Home Depot, where I purchased a replacement. If it gets me by until the next time I re-roof, then I'll be happy.

I'm going to try to attach this new upper turbine portion to the existing base. If not, I'll lift a few shingles, and instal the whole new thing.

I can handle most jobs, as long as they aren't heavy, once I've figured the process out!

Thanks for your input!

Myrl Jeffcoat

myrl_jeffcoat

Not having a "dog in the fight" so to speak, but, if you look at HD's site, you'll see a thermostat bundled with typical attic vent fan, by the mfg.

It'd be pretty stupid not to, considering different ambient conditions from mid-Aug. to blizzard-time.

So, no, powered attic ventilators would run only as required to hold temp set-point.

barry

They do look like turbans. But I can't answer your question.

Reply to
mm

Mine runs on hot sunny days from about 10 in the morning to 9 or 10 at night. On cooler days from noon to 6. Don't really know how much electricity it uses.

Reply to
mm

I was able to easily install the new top turbine part, to the old prior installed base. Even the three holes to screw the top part to the bottom lined up perfectly. . .So guess the gods were smiling on me this day.

The hardest part of the job, was beating off the neighbors, who claimed I shouldn't be climbing up there on a roof, while trying to "discourage" me.

Mark one for this 64 year old granny. . .It's a done deal;-)

Thanks to all, for your input!

Myrl Jeffcoat

myrl_jeffcoat