Where is my water shutoff?

I am looking to shut off ALL the water to my house, so I can repair a leaky pre-meter valve.

The city says there should be a small manhole-type cover in my yard. According to them, I should be able to open it and use a special tool to turn off the water to my house. They provide the tool.

But I can't find any hatches in my yard.

Here is a link to a picture of my leaky valve and what I suspect MIGHT be the water shutoff.

Don't worry, the link is workplace-safe and spam-free. In the photo you can see the water dribbling down the leaky valve.

See that hatch to the right? Is that safe to open? Will I find my shutoff valve in there?

Reply to
bryanska

No. The "hatch" to the right is the sewer cleanout.

If the access covers in the yard for the curb stop are cast iron, use a child's metal detector (or similar) to find.

They are loaning you the tool because YOU assume all responsibility if the curb stop breaks (happens). AYOR

If the valve is leaking at the packing nut and can't be tightened any more, you can repack it without shutting off at the curb. Close the valve at the meter (assumes this valve DOES work). Drain water from house piping as best you can. Take off the blue handle. Remove the packing nut. Repack the gland with either graphite string or Teflon string packing material.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That valve looks like a pre-meter shutoff valve, but you should also have a curb box that also will have a valve in it so that the valve you are looking at could be serviced.

I have no way of telling you where it may be however.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

You should be accepting the Darwin award for that post. Here is a quick clue. The picture you posted is NOT YOUR FRONT YARD. You wont find a manhole cover where you are looking. You will find some smelly shitty water though if you open up that brass plug in the floor. Here is another clue. That plug isnt going to come out easily. Oh, and one last clue. Tighten the packing nut. That would be the silly sguare brass nut with 2 extra sides just below that blue thing-a-ma-bob. Graphite string or even teflon tape will work too and you wont even need to shut off anything to do it. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

That's it! It's leaking right there at the top.

But actually this leaking valve is BEFORE the meter (oddly enough). Were you thinking I could cut the water supply off to the leaky valve? I can't.

Or were you saying I can just turn off the leaky valve and take apart the handle?

Thanks for your help!

Reply to
bryanska

The hatch cover out at the street is probably covered with dirt. The suggestion to find it with a metal detector is a good one. Maybe you can borrow one. Does your neighbor know where his is? It is common to bring in the water from the main line between two houses. If you can find his, yours should be close.

Reply to
Dick

The photo shows a sewer cleanout.

The water will be outside someplace. It may be under a foot of dirt over the years, or it by be by the curb, depending on where you live. Water company may have to locate it for you. I have a rough idea where mine is, but I have not seen it as it was buried years ago.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

OK, I did that. Took a fair bit of force. I hope that works!

Whatever, dude. I come here to ask lots of questions before turning a wrench. That way I'm never in line for the award, and future clueless homeowners can have the answer too. Thanks for your "contribution".

Reply to
bryanska

Yes, just turn off the leaker (assuming it will shut tight) and remove the handle. THEN drain the pipes in the house because water will come out past the shaft when you remove the packing nut. If the meter is in a part of the house where spilled water doesn't matter then of course it's not as critical.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Hi, The entry point of the pipe in your basemment gives you orientation in reference to the location of the shut off outside. I know where it is on my yard. First thing I took notice when house was built.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Not odd at all, "dude". It is there so the water company can change out the meter all quick and nice. And you (or the water company CAN cut off the water supply to the leaking valve. You just CANT do it from in the house. It is OUTSIDE, my boy..........OUTSIDE!. Bubba (dude)

Reply to
Bubba

Jim, thank you.

I tightened the packing nut. Hopefully it will hold. It is old, however. So it's VERY good to know I can repack the nut without shutting off water to the valve.

Reply to
bryanska

Call the county and tell them you plan on diigging in your yard. They will come out and mark everything; water, gas, electric etc. (probably for free).

Reply to
JohnH

Hi, One call does it. It's free.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

If there are any similar houses on your street, ask the people who live there. If one house has the shutoff valve

12 feet from the house wall and aligned with the middle of a window, an identical house elsewhere probably had its shutoff valve installed in the same relative position.
Reply to
Don Phillipson

bryanska ..

No it is outside, usually between the curb and your home, likely in line with the part you see in the picture you posted. It is outside so they can turn it off in you don't pay your bill. :-)

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Speaking of that, now that they can read your electric meter without leaving the snack room, can they disconnect your electricity without coming out? In the past they put plastic insulators over the meter tabs, but maybe they could retract the tabs instead?

mm

Hey - I am surprised no one said this. In my area the water company is responsible for everything on their side of the meter. Ask THEM to fix the leak, its their water that's spilling in your basement. Also, the valve may not be in your yard but it could be in the street. It may have WATER stamped on the lid. One Call, as has been suggested, will come out and mark everything if you indeed need to DIY.

Reply to
No

No wrote: ..

Where I live everything from their shutoff in is mine problem.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I called the water company Friday night to have them shut off the main at the street. Seems the 2 shut off valves (on each side of the meter) didn't really shut the water off. I found that out after I cut the feeds for a basement shower. I had to call the wife and ask her who the water company was then call them, all while I collected the water with 2 dog bowls and a bucket.

The feed is usually in front of your home between the sidewalk and curb or in the street. The water company should be the one who turns it off, it's their property. The turn off was about 2 feet underground. I just noticed that the wood is cover the hole he dug, I think he's coming back to put an extender on the valve to raise it to ground level.

So now I have 2 new valves at the meter and 2 ball valves to shut the water off for the downstairs bathroom.

Reply to
mike urig