What's wrong with white?

This really isn't complicated. When you live in a place, paint it whatever color *you* like.

When you come to sell, repaint it off-white (pale beige). The place will sell faster and you'll get a better price. Beige is "warmer" than pure white, which looks "cold". People want to feel warm and cozy in their homes. This is all well understood by good builders and realtors. They have turned into science -- no guesswork required.

Aside from the color itself, a *fresh* coat of paint will always help sell a home. Maybe buyers shouldn't be so superficial but the fact is... they are.

Reply to
Malcolm Hoar

"Deke" wrote

Guessing what color the buyer will like is like trying to hit the lottery. You can do it, but the odds are against you. Just get the place CLEAN, and if that includes painting a light color to cover dirt, wear, and grime, so be it.

One of the major things in buying/selling is first impressions. A place that looks clean will suggest that it has been taken care of. A place that needs painting right away suggests that there will be other repairs, too.

Five to ten gallons of paint is not a big investment in trying to sell a house, and will give the most bang for the bucks. After that, if some weirdo Goth bitch who loves Halloween colors buys it and wants to redecorate, whatever. But to color it that way in anticipation of the one Goth Halloween obsessed bitch buyer in the world is a lottery decision.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

I like to have a white wall to show slides on. Easier than setting up a screen.

Reply to
mm

Sort of true, but the pictures look dull compared to a screen

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

You know I've always heard that too. I sold my house this past December, nothing fancy just a little 1K ft2 ranch. When I moved in the walls were all white...and it looked and felt cold an lifeless. When I left the house had 5 different colors on the main floor, and everyone that looked at the house raved about the colors. I'm convinced the colors sold the house.

Bottom line, you have do what's tactful...just because it's got color doesn't make it right!

Oh yea...the house sold for more than ask> Real estate agents often recommend neutral white repainting before putting a

Reply to
DAC

For whom? When I work on my house, I do what pleases ME, not what I think will please the next guy.

Reply to
Goedjn

I know they say that and I believe even I would almost certainly think so if they were side by side, but my love for convenience outweighs my desire for quality. I was going to paint one wall glossy white for this purpose, but I don't show slides that often anyhow anymore.

Reply to
mm

White only looks clean when it IS clean, and a pure white is harder to keep clean than an off-white. Who has to do the cleaning?

How about Blue, with white trim? That makes a good livingroom. But not that pansy-ass sky blue or slate. Primal blue. The kind of blue that feels like a physical assault until you get the trim painted and the curtains hung. If you put vibrant enough color on the walls (something that says OSHA approved) then you can paint the ceiling with Ames reflective safety white.

Reply to
Goedjn

Me and the Mrs. are getting ready to do some painting and I'll be heading off to the local Sears to request several gallons of good ol BO34 (Winter White). Nothin at all wrong with white as far as we're concerned. The Sears paint is just our preference.

We have branched out a little bit and done some other colors in our new home, but the last house was all done in white.

It all comes down to... what do you want in your house. Which translates (mostly) to if it makes the Mrs. happy life is happy... ;-)

Most of the TV shows go overboard with their style and color mixes to keep it interesting. Not that many folks would watch every week if the designer walked into the house and said "I SEE ---- WHITE".. :-)

Just my two little pennies worth... Good luck!

Reply to
bremen68

You could buy special paint for movies and slides. The paint is pricey but not as pricey as a good screen.

Reply to
Jack

Thanks. I didn't know that. Looks like I'm not the only "lazy" one. Plus with a screen you have to fold it up, have a place to store it, and take it out again.

Reply to
mm

And you can...

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Our house is a bit over a hundred years old. Before we did any work on it, we carefully peeled back the layers of time on the walls.

Only one room has ever had white walls -- the living room was painted white when we bought the place, appears to have been done in the 1970s. Before that, it had a variety of pastels in different rooms.

Before that, wall papers ranging from pastels to very deep prints downstairs, while the bedrooms had paper with scenic prints -- floral in one, cowboys and indians in another, tropical scenes in a third, etc.

The original interior was deep green, painted cloth instead of paper, except the dining room which was green below with a band of sky blue on top, with a gold stripe between them.

Reply to
<josh