What's with the Weed-B-Lethargic?

For the longest time, I'd use Weed-B-Gon in concentrate & a tank sprayer. One shot would pretty much do it, although it took its time.

Anymore, using the same product, I have regular dandelions that are still alive after three consecutive hits on three consecutive weekends. What gives?

The weeds aren't doing as well as they were -- they're a bit wilted -- but otherwise they're doing OK.

Now there's some higher-power version. Maybe Weed-B-Gon-In-Under-Five-Hits?

Anyone else having dismal results with this product?

Reply to
Robert Barr

In article , snipped-for-privacy@for.harvest says... :) For the longest time, I'd use Weed-B-Gon in concentrate & a tank :) sprayer. One shot would pretty much do it, although it took its time. :) :) Anymore, using the same product, I have regular dandelions that are :) still alive after three consecutive hits on three consecutive weekends. :) What gives? :) :) The weeds aren't doing as well as they were -- they're a bit wilted -- :) but otherwise they're doing OK. :) :) Now there's some higher-power version. Maybe Weed-B-Gon-In-Under-Five-Hits? :) :) Anyone else having dismal results with this product? :) If by chance the weather has been cooler than normal that may be the reason.

Reply to
Lar

I've encountered the same problem. Using w-b-g from last year and also using the new Weed-B-gone Max that I just purchased.

Also used Spectracide brand Weed Stop. Same results.

Though the chem-lawn type guys are doing a good job on some of my neighbors lawns.

I'm in S.E. Michigan.

Reply to
wcs94

Genetic adaptation. The weeds are evolving resistance. :

Reply to
MG

Last year I used weed and feed fertilizer (which did not do much), hit the dandilions with Weed-B-Gon (gallon jug sprayer) which wiped those out. This year I have been doing it the old fashioned way, the dandilion digger. But many of those were near other plants last year which I did not want to spray with weed killer.

They do have concentrate, but it seems to have different chemicals than premixed in the gallon jug, and I do not remember if I have tried that yet. So I do not know if diluted concentrate works as well as premixed.

Reply to
David Efflandt

The Weed-B-Sleeping "Max" formula is new this year. It appears not to have any 2-4-D at all if I'm reading the label right.

I've had fairly good luck with it with a tank sprayer on bermuda, at a rate of 1.5 oz per gallon, which is 50% more than the recommended rate.

Except on clover. Clover is really tough. I think the problem is that you can't wet the leaves. It's like clover leaves repell the drops. I'm not sure Spreader Sticker would make any difference.

You might want to look at a more traditional formula.

Reply to
Peabody

Over the last few years Ortho has slowly reduced the amount of 2-4D in WeedBGone to the point that it barely has any in it. Look for a product that has at least 5% 2-4D. I prefer Trimec. I used to use Spectracide but I haven't checked their amount lately.

Reply to
Jmagerl

I am having the same problem. The dandy's wilt and wither, but never actually die. My tactic now is to crawl around and find the main root of the dandelions, dig them out with a long, thin screwdriver. I then squirt the WBG into the hole where the weed was. My 6 year old son helps me out. I dig out the root, and he shoots the WBG. The dandy's seem especially tough this year. I pulled up one that had a root over a foot long! I'll probably lose the war, but I'm fighting one helluva battle!

Les (dandelion hunter-killer)

Reply to
Gina and Les Armstrong

Why not quit using petrochemicals and just kneel with a weed puller. It's very effective, involves moderate exercise, and your kids and dog can play without worries.

Reply to
Buck Turgidson

"Why not quit using petrochemicals and just kneel with a weed puller. It's very effective, involves moderate exercise, and your kids and dog can play without worries."

Maybe because it's a hell of a lot easier and practical to use chemicals. Few people are going to get out on their hands and knees and dig out weeds in any decent size lawn. I'm not in a proponent of using chemicals excessively, or where not needed. For example, I wouldn't use a weed n feed product unless the lawn was full of weeds, because it puts a lot of weed killer all over the whole lawn, where it's not needed. For a lawn with a moderate amount of weeds, using spot application of chemicals is fast, effective and relatively safe.

Reply to
trader4

The bottle of Trimec I bought last year says 7.6% 2-4D. It works like a charm.. I gave up on weed-b-gon years ago because it never worked. I believe that the current formulation of Trimec is what weed-b-gone was years ago, before Ortho started tampering with the formula.

dicko

Reply to
dicko

I've been having good luck lately with Bayer brand.

Reply to
Hopkins

And totally unnecessary, since you can have a perfectly functional lawn just by mowing regularly, and letting whatever can survive that treatment grow there.

A healthy yard has bluets, violets, grass, clover, dandilions, and strawberrys growing in it. Poison ivy and thistles need to be killed.

--Goedjn

Reply to
Goedjn