What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

What is wrong with this paragraph? Or is there?

Q. What is the most common cause of sump pump failure? A. Probably the most common cause of sump pump failure is electrical in nature. Plugging the pump into an extension cord, or an outlet that shares a circuit breaker with other electrical items, can cause the pump to receive low voltage. In order to run it then has to draw higher amps. That causes the pump to run hotter. Heat is the enemy of electric motors and can shorten the life of a pump dramatically. We recommend the pump be plugged directly into an outlet (no extension cords) and that the outlet be the only thing powered by the circuit breaker (or fuse) that feeds it.

Reply to
micky

It may have a dangling participle, or some punctuation error. Other than that, looks good from here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Factually correct from what I see. Often, people put motors on extension cords meant for a Christmas candle and wonder why the motor is not working properly. OK to use an extension if it is the right size, like #12 wire or better. The stuff in the wall is probably #14 or #12 at best. .

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

As a card-carrying member of the Grammar Police, I didn't find a writing problem. If you mean FACTUAL problem, that's above my pay grade.

HB

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I remember seeing a window AC on a lamp cord extension. Fellow couldn't figure out why.... it.....

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

didn't find a writing problem. If you mean FACTUAL problem, that's above my pay grade.

As the: son of an, editor! I wasnt' able to find any-thing wrong with that "quoted" paragraph; punctuation wise??

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Some people just learning about electricity think of a motor as a resistive device. Therefore, if you lower the voltage, you also lower the current per ohm's law. As a result, those people might think the paragraph is in error. However, there are many different types of motors and many act like the paragraph describes.

Reply to
Pat

Thermal destruction is not 'electrical' in nature. Well, maybe.

Reply to
RobertMacy

You figured out what I was thinking of. Congratulations. You're prize will be in the mail. I don't know what it will be, but whatever comes in the mail you should consider to be your prize. Okay, they're probably not wrong, but I'd have liked it better if they went into one or two clauses more detail there, so as to not confuse me and a lot of people.

Reply to
micky

BTW, I didn't mean to trick you all into looking at grammar and punctuation. Sorry.

Reply to
micky