Water Softeners

[snip]

The well we used to use at the farm had soft water. It was very good for drinking, but had problems for other things. I remember washing my hair and it taking (seemingly) forever to rinse out the soap.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Walter,

Have you looked in your phone book under water conditioning? I'd be surprised if there are not a number of companies in your area who will install and maintain these devices. Be prepared for a heavy sales pitch. I think Sears puts their softener on sale quite often.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I have sold a lot of equipment using a Fleck control valve, and repaired many but the best control valve is the Clack WS-1. It has the same piston, seal and spacer design as Fleck with many great improvements. I've been selling them for 4.5 years now and out of roughly 1100 sales, I've had only 21 problems. The same number of Fleck valves... I would have expected 10%+ problems by now. The Clack WS-1 is a DIYer's dream to program and repair if needed. It is so simple anyone that can look at he picture in the manual and relate that to the valve and follow simple text and wield a pair of channel lock type pliers can rebuild the whole valve and have their water back on in less than 30 minutes. That was intended in the design.

And based on what I hear from customers of that other web site .... be careful out there.

And many thanks to the guys that mentioned me (especially Josh), except the one that used me to then buy from THEM! lol.

Big box brands are low quality mass produced softeners. They are one piece which makes them very hard to work on and, they can not be made much larger than .7 to 1.2 cubic feet in size. My web site has a lot of info about correctly sizing a softener, get that wrong and the thing will never work consistently.

Gary Slusser Quality Water Associates

Reply to
Gary Slusser

Unless you have to strain it through the teeth.

Side by side comparisons:

Two homes 10 years old. My appliances worked as new and looked great, when the house was sold. I had a softener. The neighbor sold just before me. His appliances went to recycle. The calcium (Lake Mead water) destroyed the appliances in his home.

btw, folks should ask the water utility about water quality/hardness. A good source of information...

Reply to
Oren

The rinsing in soft water does take some time to adjust (first time users). One is to use less/soap detergent. Soft water gives a "slimy" feel, so the person spends more time rinsing. Not really necessary, but get use to the soft water and less body soap/shampoo/other detergent (DW/Laundry).

Reply to
Oren

Perhaps you could email this to me 40 years ago? I could have used it then :-)

Reply to
Mark Lloyd