Water heater questions

I couldn't disagree more!

The crud needs to come out......

Reply to
Jerry.Tan

I had a standard water heater leak after 17 years. Neighbors had a similar unit leak after 14 years. I replaced mine with the same quality.

Whatever you get, be sure it sits on a drip tray and both the tray drain and pressure relief valve are piped to drain outside. A little bit of extra work could save big problems later.

I have been told that the only difference between a 10 year guarantee and 15 or 20 year is the longer guaranteed units are higher priced to include the increased risk. No idea if that is true or not.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Not for me. My home phone has speed dial, and I'm still hoping to use it some day.

Reply to
micky

Of course. Just as the indenting shows.

Villa doesn't appreciate humor, And I thanked you for your compliment, but I added "I guess" because the compliment was only that I was more amusing than someone you then said all kinds of bad things about. And unfairly too, since Chris never says anything on ahr about the things you listed. All he has is his sig, "learn more about Jesus.

"

Maybe you don't like Jesus or people who talk about Jesus. Some people don't. Or maybe those 3 little letters, lds, annoy you. Either way, I think you should keep your complaints off of ahr, unless someone does something substantially bad,

Reply to
micky

Funny story....

I was going to meet a Hispanic fellow named Jesus (pronounced Hay-sus). As I drove up I kept repeating to myself "Hay-sus" "Hay-sus" "Hay-sus" .... to be sure I pronounced it right. Then when I shook hands I said "Nice to meet you Jesus!" (Gee-Sus). He laughed.

Anyway I thought it was funny.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

on AHR, I meant.

I think it's funny too.

Reminds me of a date I had in college with a girl named Cindy Weiner.

All the way up to the north side of Chicago, from the south side, to be funny, a friend who was driving kept calling her Wendy Cinner.

And when she got in the car and I introduced her to him and his date, I called her Wendy Sinner.

(To be precise, I probably stumbled half-way through that name. I don't know what she thought. The date went pretty well, buit she lived so far away.)

Reply to
micky

One anode in the lower warranty, 2 anodes in the higher in many cases. Some also don't have the "self cleaning" swirl inlet on the lowwwer warranty,some differentiate with plastic/vs brass drain valve, and some also only have the dialectric fittings on the higher warranty units

Anyway, I checked and my GE is actually a Rheem with GE stickers on it. Hecho en Mexico.Bought it from Home Despot because it's only less than a mile away and I only had the hitch mounted carrier on the PT Cruiser (back ijn 2011) to bring it home so didn't want to go across town to wholesaler to get it.

Reply to
clare

I wish more neighborhoods would do this. I'm not sure our neighbors have heard of email.

Reply to
mcp6453

Our neighborhood uses Nextdoor to let residents know of any security issues, as well as more routine things. It's free to setup and use.

Reply to
Arthur Conan Doyle

Our "neighborhood" is really more of a small subdivision. It includes an area of about 500 homes. We actually have a "committee" that runs the group and we collect dues (I think it's about $30/year). We use some sort of Google Group for the email. There are settings you can use to control how many messages you get. Several adjacent neighborhoods also have a similar arrangement and sometimes they share information if it has a broader appeal, such as with elections or city ordinances.

It works better in some neighborhoods than others. In my previous neighborhood, I doubt it would have worked very well. But that was before the Internet was as well established as it is today.

In this neighborhood it's amazing. Rating vendors is not even the most important benefit, IMO. The #1 benefit is safety. If anyone sees any suspicious activity, it goes out to the group immediately. A few years ago, we had a rash of faux "solicitors" who were actually casing the neighborhood for people not at home. If no one answered the door, their friends would arrive and rob the place. Now any solicitors are quickly reported to the group and the police. The police have arrested several people who turned out not to be solicitors and had criminal records.

The #2 benefit is sharing. At least a couple of times a week, a grandparent will ask to borrow a crib or a stroller because a grandchild is coming to visit. They usually have one within a couple of hours. I have personally gotten tickets to sold out events at the last minute because something came up and the original buyer couldn't use them. People often offer packing materials for free to anyone who will pick them up.

Another benefit is infomation on local ordinances. A couple of our members are attorneys who keep up on what the city is doing. Several times they have organized groups to show up at city council meetings to lobby for something or other.

Another is travel information. I see lots of posts from people traveling to Italy or Africa asking for tips on where to stay and what to see. I also see posts from people offering to exchange currencies or make travel books available.

It takes a few proactive people to set it up and manage it. as with any group, there have been problems. There are always those who can';t seem to get with the program. There have been abuses. The guy who runs our group is a bit of a benevolent dictator, but I am happy with that. I don't agree with everything he does, but the group mostly works and I don't have to deal with the idiots who don't get it.

It's one of those things that I never knew I needed until I had it and now I wouldn't know what to do without it.

Reply to
Jennifer Murphy

similar unit leak after 14 years. I replaced mine with the same quality.

drain and pressure relief valve are piped to drain outside. A little bit of extra work could save big problems later.

and 15 or 20 year is the longer guaranteed units are higher priced to include the increased risk. No idea if that is true or not.

Comment about the drain valve reminded me..... neighbor tried to open a plastic valve on their 10+ year water heater and it broke and flooded the place. I'll be replacing mine with brass next weekend.... We got a call at 3am that night and I ran over. It's not easy plugging a hole with hot water coming out.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I lost track of the original post.....

I would try to solve the problem with piping and valves, and not install a pump.

Larger pipe diameter, more direct route, fewer elbows -- anything to reduce the pressure will help the flow rate and let you flush out the cold water quicker.

Could be that you could install a parallel pipe directly from the hot water heater outlet to the kitchen. That would cut the flow resistance in half or more and avoid a lot of repiping.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

Forgot to pass this along... Some over-simplified sketches that might give you some ideas for speeding up the hot water...

"Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney" wrote in message news:WuOdnc3d6dGZJi snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com... I lost track of the original post.....

I would try to solve the problem with piping and valves, and not install a pump.

Larger pipe diameter, more direct route, fewer elbows -- anything to reduce the pressure will help the flow rate and let you flush out the cold water quicker.

Could be that you could install a parallel pipe directly from the hot water heater outlet to the kitchen. That would cut the flow resistance in half or more and avoid a lot of repiping.

Reply to
Snuffy "Hub Cap" McKinney

I think there is something self-defeating in that idea. Adding a second pipe will increase the potential delivery rate of water. It will also double the colder water that has to flow before hot water from the water heater gets there, assuming the second pipe is of the same size. So, you have some higher flow capacity, but 2X the water that you have to move. The typical kitchen sink isn't going to spew out water 2X as fast with the second pipe. So, overall, I believe it makes the wait for hot water longer, not shorter.

The other diagram, the "fast loop valve", I guess is an additional valve/faucet that can be opened at the same time to let water flow faster. I guess that would help, how exactly you practically implement that on a kitchen sink, IDK.

Reply to
trader_4