Warning about lumber

I made a grave error recently. I bought a lot of 2 X 4s to finish off my basement. Unfortunately, I couldn't get to it right away, and the lumber sat on the floor of my basement for about 5 weeks. Well, when I bought the wood, I selected each piece for straightness. Guess what? About 2/3s of them are all twisted and bent out of shape - useless except for starting a fire in my fireplace.

So, don't be like me. Buy your wood just prior to using it. If not, you may end up wasting a lot of money.

Reply to
46erjoe

Or don't buy them at home cheepo the next time.

Reply to
George

Well, yeah.. My dad was a carpenter and he never had wood laying around....

-- Oren

Oren

To reduce warp I always stand lumber up as vertical as possible to allow the air to circulate around all 4 edges so that it dries evenly. If it is winter I prefer to keep my wood in the unheated garage. If I have too much to stand up and I need to lay it on the floor, I always put spacers under it and either clamp them all together with a pipe clamp or pile weights, concrete blocks or fertilizer bags on the pile to keep it reasonably flat. These methods don't always work but keep the warping and twisting to a minimum.

Reply to
EXT

you don't want to burn softwood

Reply to
Toller

I wouldn't think kiln dried lumber should change much if any in only 5 weeks. Unless it took on moisture.

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

Did he mention WHERE he bought it???

Reply to
Steve Barker LT

"Steve Barker LT" wrote in news:- M2dnRCz25zt--HYnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

it may be kiln dried,but it's essentially stored outdoors at any home- repair store.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

He didn't need to. :-)

Reply to
Doug Miller

Why not? And don't use creosote as a reason, that is not a good one if burned properly. Hardwood is better, but softwood, especially construction lumber that has been reasonably dried, works very well. Many people only have pine available and have heated their homes with it for centuries. Use what you have.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Construction lumber is not all that dry. IIRC, it is about 12% compared to the furniture grades that are 7%. Most will twist and bend once brought into the house. I've seen it at the store with as much as a 90 degree bend in it. Incredible how bad it can be.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I'll tell you why not ... who can get up 3 times during the night to restoke the fire?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

It sounds to me like you may have got some green lumber. I've never had problems like that, and I haven't taken any extreme precautions.

Reply to
CJT

And to clean out huge ash piles. Give me black locust!

Reply to
Toller

"Charles Schuler" wrote

== Need to save that lumber for the cookstove.

Reply to
Gini

If you had clamped or weighted the lumber it won't move as much. Also, make sure you buy kiln-dried. A moisture tester is worth having. Better to store lumber off the basement floor.

Reply to
Phisherman

At my age, you have to get up at least three times during the night anyway...

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, if he DID buy it at Home Cheapo, he's in luck.

They'll happily take it back.

Of course if he bought it out of someone's trunk, or from a "It fell off a truck" sale, he's stuck.

Reply to
HeyBub

I've warmed up to many barrels of burning lumber on a construction site. Kept warm. Even when I had a wood burning stove inside at home I used remnants of lumber.

-- Oren

Oren
46erjoe wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

On concrete? Sucking in moisture from from it?

Reply to
Al Bundy