Wall Switch Height

Yes, that seems rather high. If you come in with an arm-load of groceries, it will be difficult to reach over and flip the light on.

I don't know that the NEC really specifies the height of electrical switches, but 48" is the typical height.

I mounted outlets at 12", switches at 48", and thermostats at 60". I used a stick cut to the desired length to position the boxes quickly. Much faster and less chance of error than measuring the height of each box.

In our master bedroom, I mounted switches a little lower on each side of our bed to turn off the wall lights. Makes it easier to reach the switches when you're laying in bed at night.

In our kitchen, we have a short half wall in front of our peninsula. Because of the shorter wall, the light switches had to be mounted about

36" above the floor. They work fine at that height too...

The one small issue I ran into was our garage. I located all switches and outlets at 48" from the floor. This worked great till a few years later when I went to install wall cabinets. Because the garage floor sloped towards the doors, I realized the outlets slope along the wall as well. Ooops. :) The outlet on the far left sits an inch or two lower than the one on the far right. It isn't a problem other than a visual difference from the wall cabinets, but it's something to consider if you have a sloped floor.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Yes. I need more of those (receptacles at switch height). I have installed a few, it's easy when the existing wires were run straight down to existing receptacles.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I have one 2-gang switch box that I put a receptacle in (this box DOES have a neutral wire). I got a device that has 2 switches in the space of one and used the other side of the box for a receptacle. It makes a good place for a night light, as well as for temporary use (as for a vacuum cleaner).

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

When I put a peephole in my front door, I put it at eye height. A later measurement showed it to be 64 inches off the floor.

While measuring things, I measures the light switch in here. The bottom of the cover plate was 50.5 inches off the floor.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

(snip)

Your realtor friend is behind the times. Houses that are adaptable for elderly and/or wheelchair using people are quite marketable, almost trendy. It is called 'aging in place'. Your being shorter than average means that most of the custom features you want also apply for down the road when mobility may be a problem. If you are getting professional design help, they have access to all sorts of books and standards on the subject, but most of them are pretty common-sense. Wide halls and doors, especially in the bathroom. Space to add or switch to a walk-in shower, maybe a vanity with knee space underneath. A 'no step' front entry and garage to kitchen transition. (Designed in, you don't even notice it. Added later, it screams 'target' to people that want to rob you.) You don't have to put all the features in now, just design the place to make them easy to add later.

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers
48" o.c.? damn, i got ripped off!!! I have three switches in one receptacle box in one location, so they should have each been spaced about 4' apart instead? Who do I call to report this?!

RBM (remove this) wrote:

Reply to
Jim Conway

48 inches off the floor to pivot of switch, NOT 48 inches separation between switches!!!
Reply to
Robert Gammon

I don't have a cite, but I'm pretty sure that for "occupiable spaces", the NEC requires either an overhead light or an outlet that is switched from a switch within 3' of the door.

Reply to
Goedjn